Chicken lost Feathers?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by miraclepooch, Sep 5, 2013.

1. miraclepooch

miraclepooch New Egg

Dec 10, 2012
    Ok so my chicken is just a year old she is a partridge plymouth rock. All of a sudden i noticed that there where not any feathers on her breast bone. It is the beginning of september. Also i haven't been getting as many eggs as usual! Is she molting? What is happening? Please help?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sounds as if she is molting. Can you see pin/blood feathers starting to appear?

3. miraclepooch

miraclepooch New Egg

Dec 10, 2012
    yes they look like the beginnings of a feather the part that is closest to the skin.

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She'll look like a hedgehog for a while until the feathers 'mature'.

5. miraclepooch

miraclepooch New Egg

Dec 10, 2012
    ok thank you so much. Will the others do it to?

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They may or may not. Some 'blow' all of their feathers at once and end up looking quite pathetic. Others lose a couple of feathers at a time and do not look as bad.

7. FlosRdChicks

FlosRdChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2012
    Springwater, Ontario
    Reading this post, I feel so relieved!

One of my 15 month old hens started losing all of her feathers a week ago. What a mess! Every tail feather, her belly, her head, all over. I thought she was attacked by something at first, but looking closely, there is no blood or anything. She definitely looks like a hedgehog!

She's bald and she seems uncomfortable too, when she tries to sit down. The weather has turned cold. I put her in a cage and brought her into the kitchen for the night just in case she isn't ok. So what happens when they blow all their feathers in cold weather?

(We have 6 hens and an insulated coop)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by