1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Chicken Lost Feathers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LuvMyChicks4, Jul 30, 2014.

1. LuvMyChicks4

LuvMyChicks4 Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    Hello! I have read this website many times, but this is my first time posting. I am worried about one of my chickens. The other day we got them out of their coop to let them run around the yard and noticed one of them had lost a lot of feathers. She was acting weird. The next day there were more feathers gone and she was very skiddish. She wouldn't let us get near her. Then we noticed that the other chickens seems really aggressive around her. We separated her from the others last night. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Looks like she's gone and molted all her feathers at once! Don't worry, it's perfectly normal. The new ones should grow in pretty quickly. She'll be uncomfortable for a while though, so don't pick her up if it isn't necessary. :)

3. ShinShien

ShinShien Crowing

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    My welsummer hen, Tabitha, looks almost like that. I thought she'd gone and joined a strip club for chickens, but it's just molting season here.

4. LuvMyChicks4

LuvMyChicks4 Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    Thank you so much! I thought when they molted they didn't lose their wing feathers (not sure why I thought that). She has only two feathers left on her wings!
    I forgot to mention that she seems to be limping, and holds her left leg up. Does the molting explain the aggressiveness of the other chickens?

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Yes, wing feathers get molted too. Feathers get a lot of damage throughout the year, and they all need to be replaced before winter.
    The other birds are probably pecking her because her pinfeathers look interesting, and chickens investigate things by pecking. If you start seeing blood on her, you may want to isolate her from the flock for a while.

Limping is probably completely unrelated. Check for swellings/dark scabs under her feet, and research "bumblefoot" if you see any, foot problems can be pretty bad for chickens.

Good luck! :)

6. LuvMyChicks4

LuvMyChicks4 Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    I looked up bumble foot and figured that's probably what she has, but just went and looked at her and see no evidence of that. We have her separated and hopefully she will get better. Thank you all so much for your help!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by