Chicken lost for months may be found

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Juliefill, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Juliefill

Juliefill Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Over the summer we thought a coyote killed one of our hens because we found 2 piles of feathers... Assumed the predator ran off with the hen. Just today a neighbor mentioned seeing a black chicken up the road perhaps a mile away. This is a remote road with plenty of woods but also homes and normal neighbor traffic. My gut feeling is this cannot be our chick but what if she managed to escape the attack and hid and wandered and has been alive all this time... I feel horrible as even if we were to locate her how could she possibly be tame enough to live with the other 3 chicks? This just makes me feel awful and sad again about the original loss. Not sure what I'm asking... Guess I just need to tell my story and see if anyone has thoughts or similar situation.

2. 5acresandadream

5acresandadream Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2016
    North Eastern USA
    My husband found a beat up half dead barred rock hen in his work parking lot. No idea how she got there or what happened to her. He called me and I went and brought her home. 85 degrees on black top had her feet shredded and the big spots she was missing feathers on were severly sunburnt. 4 months later and Minerva, or 'Miss Mini' as i like to call her, is part of the family and has calmed down so much. I'm sure if you were able to trap your hen, and give her time, that she would fit right back in. Best of luck!

3. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    Have you found the chicken? Its quite unfortunate it got lost, hope you did find it.

4. Juliefill

Juliefill Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Such a kind gesture on your part to save that poor hen. We've not located the chick,our neighbor spotted. If we do I'll certainly be back here for advice.

5. Juliefill

Juliefill Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Not found. If it was our chick it is about a mile away from our house and she would have had a difficult journey.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by