Chicken lost her leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MiniFarmRosanky, Jun 10, 2016.

1. MiniFarmRosanky

MiniFarmRosanky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

We have a chicken that was attacked and lost her leg. We have her in the bathtub and are hand feeding her food and giving her water. I have been cooking her eggs she seems to prefer them and loves applesauce. It happened a couple weeks ago and she is doing better - she is eating and drinking but we didn't realize the intensity of the injury. She is a rescue chicken and we are attached to her - we call her grandma and she is a fatty. She has always had trouble getting on the perch - which is why she was attacked - she was on the ground. She is a cochin so she has a lot of feathers so just was treating the wound - which is all healed and growing new feathers. She is starting to move a little but are wondering about the life she will have. I have three coops and know that she can move in with the doves and the bantam and not be bothered. We love her and want to make her life comfortable. What are your thoughts on the situation? She is at least 5 years old. The pic is before of course - it was watermelon time!

2. Leigti

Leigti Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2015
    Walla Walla WA
    If there is a place that she can be safe and still be around the other birds then I say go for it.

1 person likes this.
  3. MiniFarmRosanky

MiniFarmRosanky Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2013
    Yes I have a coop that has a pair of bantams and four doves - I think she could be happy and not harassed- plus it is next to the other coop- so will share a fence line.

4. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    once she heals, if enough left you could fashion a peg leg for her? Vet wrap and somebody that is good with crafting could go a long way to making a new leg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by