chicken lost to neighbors dog

wowmanacat

Songster
Apr 1, 2011
Oak Grove AR
As I type this my chicken Lucky is in the brooder room, the safe place to be. I found the dog in the act of eating her alive. She is still alive at this time but I really don't think she is going to make it. She has a bit hole in her side and you can see her insides. She was the only hen I had that laid green eggs.
I just when to go get her and place her on the desk as I write this. I have two chicks in the brooder from her and I just put two eggs in the incubator to hatch on the 28. I don't like to keep my hen in a coop/run but here I am going to have to.

Have you told the neighbor about this yet? Do you know your local ordinances about roaming dogs? Even if you are in a rural area, there are almost always laws about that. I'm sorry about the hen. Neighbor should at least pay and have animal control called about the dog if this happened on your own property. See my signature line.

Aww I'm sorry to read this. Take pictures of the hen for documentation in case the dog comes back and you decide to protect your land.

My condolences, wowmanacat.
hugs.gif

If you find out that there is a roaming law, my advice is to definitely make sure to pursue that, and any other legal remedies at your disposal. I still regret "dropping the ball" on that-- I didn't even get back to Animal Control to have dog's owners cited for their dog's roaming --let alone suing them for the cost of their loss. (And I still see them walking the dog sometimes, and get this sick loss and momentary rage when I do.)

I'm sorry for your loss, that is always heartbreaking. I agree with the other posters, make sure you document what happened to your hen, pics etc. Then call the owners and tell them, and tell them if the dog comes back you will shoot to kill. Or take it to the pound, whatever you are wanting to do. Because if that dog can get away again, it will now make a beeline for your place and your chickens. You may want to tell your local animal control about it too, just so you have it documented with them as well.

I am sorry she did not make it. If I knew the dog would be back I would SSS,but if I did not have that chance then I would opt to complain to AC and the nieghobr. I would want the owner to pay for a replacement and get a ticket for a dog at large.Dogs while loyal to their pack owners can be a serious risk to you the stranger.

Back
Top Bottom