chicken lost to neighbors dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by wowmanacat, Mar 7, 2012.

1. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    As I type this my chicken Lucky is in the brooder room, the safe place to be. I found the dog in the act of eating her alive. She is still alive at this time but I really don't think she is going to make it. She has a bit hole in her side and you can see her insides. She was the only hen I had that laid green eggs.
    I just when to go get her and place her on the desk as I write this. I have two chicks in the brooder from her and I just put two eggs in the incubator to hatch on the 28. I don't like to keep my hen in a coop/run but here I am going to have to.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Have you told the neighbor about this yet? Do you know your local ordinances about roaming dogs? Even if you are in a rural area, there are almost always laws about that. I'm sorry about the hen. Neighbor should at least pay and have animal control called about the dog if this happened on your own property. See my signature line.

3. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    Right now I am waiting for my husband to get home. also I rent so Iam not sure of the law but I will find out soon.

4. wowmanacat

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I found out I have the right to protect my land any way I see fit. She passed just after 6PM

5. 12Cackleberries

12Cackleberries New Egg

Mar 7, 2012
    Aww I'm sorry to read this. Take pictures of the hen for documentation in case the dog comes back and you decide to protect your land.

6. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    My condolences, wowmanacat. [​IMG]
    If you find out that there is a roaming law, my advice is to definitely make sure to pursue that, and any other legal remedies at your disposal. I still regret "dropping the ball" on that-- I didn't even get back to Animal Control to have dog's owners cited for their dog's roaming --let alone suing them for the cost of their loss. (And I still see them walking the dog sometimes, and get this sick loss and momentary rage when I do.)

7. QuackerJackFarms

QuackerJackFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Missouri
    [​IMG] So sorry to hear about that.

8. cutechick2010

cutechick2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm sorry for your loss, that is always heartbreaking. I agree with the other posters, make sure you document what happened to your hen, pics etc. Then call the owners and tell them, and tell them if the dog comes back you will shoot to kill. Or take it to the pound, whatever you are wanting to do. Because if that dog can get away again, it will now make a beeline for your place and your chickens. You may want to tell your local animal control about it too, just so you have it documented with them as well.

9. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Dogs are scary creatures. Well, time to get compensation.

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I am sorry she did not make it. If I knew the dog would be back I would SSS,but if I did not have that chance then I would opt to complain to AC and the nieghobr. I would want the owner to pay for a replacement and get a ticket for a dog at large.Dogs while loyal to their pack owners can be a serious risk to you the stranger.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by