Chicken Love Story

CherryAdventure

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
I have a completely black two year old hen, Vixen (yes, after the reindeer), and she went blind around Easter. I took her out of the coop, because she was being bullied and loosing weight. The rooster wouldn't leave her alone.
wink.png
She went literally crazy with loneliness. so I thought she might want a friend. I decided to put my adopted Polish Rooster, Sassy, in with her. Sassy has been perfect, laying with her at night and guarding her as she eats. Not long after I took this photo I managed to contain my Rooster, Rudolph. Shut up. So I put them in a bigger pen and left the door open for them, fully expecting Sassy to leave. Sassy guards the door when my other chickens free range, and he doesn't leave Vixen. I'm so proud of my little boy.
love.gif

Chickens have hearts. I dare you to tell me otherwise.

Now THIS is the right spot...

Here's a more recent photo. Today, actually. I'm so glad Sassy has a use, because a Polish Rooster would be useless with my hens. Literally 4 times his size.
lau.gif

Awwww that is just precious! I am glad your sweet Vixen has a devoted buddy. :) But are you positive Sassy is a he? It looks like he has more of the bouffant hair than the 80's hair band hair and I am not seeing long, pointed saddle feathers, or hackle feathers? I am looking on my phone and he's white so I may just be missing them but my roo has really obvious man features.

Awwww that is just precious! I am glad your sweet Vixen has a devoted buddy.
smile.png
But are you positive Sassy is a he? It looks like he has more of the bouffant hair than the 80's hair band hair and I am not seeing long, pointed saddle feathers, or hackle feathers? I am looking on my phone and he's white so I may just be missing them but my roo has really obvious man features.
He's just a bub, but he's growing spurs, so I'm going off that. I was told that Polish Roosters didn't develop any distinguishing marks, and the only way to tell is when they crow or lay.

This is my Till. He has had the spikey hair since he was very ypung. He's maybe a year and a half old now, if that. I would say with about 90% certainty that's a pretty little lady. :)

Thank you. That's a gorgeous man you've got there. Went out to check on my girls just then and my Sussex has bigger spurs than my Rooster.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom