1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken-lover behavior......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by coop-er, Feb 1, 2014.

1. coop-er

coop-er Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    I know this is not a chicken-behavior, but more of a chicken-lover behavior. I am closing in on the end of my very first year of "chickening". As I look back on the past year, I remember that in the beginning, my plan was to have 4 hens and now somehow I have 17 and I am researching my next " must have" breed. Now how has this happened?? So I began to wonder "does this phenomena happen to everyone?" So I would like to pose the question " how many chickens/hens/roosters did you PLAN on having and how many did you end up with?..surely I cannot be the only one who has fallen victim to this mysterious chicken revolution?

1 person likes this.
  2. chicksurreal

chicksurreal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Oh, yeah, that sounds familiar!

We are almost 6 months into our first chicken keeping experience. We started out with 17 chicks, thought that would be good for eggs and bug control in our yard.

Now we have 40-50 more chicks on our wish list for this spring, another coop in the works and enlarging our current run for the chickens we have now.

I never knew how much I would love chickens. I love them. I really, really love them! [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure this is a common phenomenon, hence the term "chicken math" Lol!

1 person likes this.
  3. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Haha!!! I have 7 adults in my flock and to cure my winter-blues I drove to Meyer Hatchery and bought 10 day-old chicks. My husband told me today "well it's really none of my business but isn't 17 chickens too many?" And I said "well, yeah, you're right......it's none of your business!,,,". He laughed! He is building my new coop this Spring... Soooo excited!

1 person likes this.
  4. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    What we didn't understand when we first got chickens, is "chicken math" or "chicken fever".
    You see, "chicken math" is different than regular math! In Chicken math 2=10, 10=27 (that would be me) and 27 will soon turn in to 45...... This is a common ailment and the only treatment is more chickens!
    The best choice of treatment is time spent in coop and BYC where you will not feel so alone in your condition! [​IMG]

5. coop-er

Nov 28, 2012
    Oh thank you!, so I am not the weirdo my family thinks I am, there is such a thing as "chicken therapy", that's what I call it!

6. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    The only thing that Cat People and Dog People can agree on, is there is no one weirder than a Bird Person! [​IMG]

7. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I should have 3, but now i have 8! And am hatching someone right now! :p

8. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Lol!

I'm actually the one who had to be talked into getting chickens in the first place, and now I can't imagine living without them. They bring so much fun and wonder to our lives, it's amazing. [​IMG]

9. chicksurreal

Dec 3, 2013
    Arizona
    That's funny! I am a dedicated "cat person" and one of my cats is actually so enthralled with the chickens that he tries to get in their coop at night to sleep with them. I don't let him, and he always sits there by the coop for a while with a mad look on his face. he watches them while they are out free-ranging and lets them eat his food when they fly up to his spot (I actually thought putting the cat food up higher would discourage them from eating it).[​IMG]

10. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    We got ours for meat and eggs. I had NO idea how much I would enjoy them! We were lucky to already have a coop on our property and by the end of this year the girls will have paid for themselves, just through eggs [​IMG]! They are already paying for their food and then some!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by