Chicken lover on the block!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Libertyrose03, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Libertyrose03

Libertyrose03 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    Hello and nice to meet you! I need some advise that most need, I need cheap feed, coop, excellent layers, cheap but quality food and water containers, and cheap tools. If you have any advise it is WELL welcomed here! All ARE welcome to like my stuff!!! I LOVE this place![​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. Bugeater3

Bugeater3 Just Hatched

Mar 17, 2015
    If you have a good sized flock, you could consider buying their food in bulk. Places like Tractor Supply are very good at helping with that. This can reduce that cost tremendously. Also Consider buying equipment second hand on things like Craigslist or eBay. Hope everything goes well with your chicken endeavors!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Libertyrose03

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    VERY HELPFUL! thank you I hope to get 10-15 chickens, which will eat around 50lbs of feed a month i think.

4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Although it's not very helpful, you must understand that if you are wanting healthy chickens, a study coop and feeders and waterers that last, you can go cheap. Cheap tools will result in a poor coop and cheap food will result in unhealthy chickens. Like @Bugeater3 said, buying food in bulk can help. Here is a great link on raising chickens on a shoestring https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/raising-chickens-on-a-shoestring And if you check out your state's thread here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you, you might be able to talk to people near you about places where you can find things at a reasonable price.

Best of luck!

5. Libertyrose03

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    @Mountain peeps[​IMG]
    Thank you for the helpful info I will have to raise my budget a bit for this.

6. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    I'm glad it was helpful. [​IMG] Yes, chicken keeping is sure not cheap and if you are wanting 10-15 birds, it will be more expensive.

7. Libertyrose03

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    About how much are you thinking?

8. Mountain Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Oh I really can't say. It all depends on how predator proof, big, sturdy, etc you plan on making the coop. It depends on where you get your birds and supplies from. And you have to plan on paying vet bills and/or buying medicine for an emergency. And then bedding, food, treats, wormers, feeders and waterers all cost money.

9. Libertyrose03

Jul 9, 2015
    Texas
    Well for my chicken coop I'm not going big or grand just simple and clean. I'm hoping to get my poultry from ideal poultry, and I planned in my budget a supplement kit that has some diatomaceous earth, oyster shell, and grit.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by