Chicken lover

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by pachicken, Feb 26, 2017.

1. pachicken

pachicken Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2017
    Hello everyone- I just joined but really new to forums, how to get around, etc. anywho have 11 new chickens we have had for 7 weeks now from rural king. They are awesome so far, just completed the coop mansion! They even have a chandelier! My hubby insists we keep them on the recommended food and my son recommends organic.

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    My opinion is you can't beat organic.

3. N F C

N F C just blowing in the wind Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Your coop sounds beautiful!

In my opinion, as long as their feed is a complete form of nourishment, your birds will be fine whether it's organic or not (others will probably disagree [​IMG]).

There is a link to some frequently asked questions (FAQ) and tips at the bottom of my post, you might find some helpful site info there.

Best of luck to you and thanks for joining us!

4. pachicken

Feb 26, 2017
    Thanks for your support!

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and the poultry keeping obsession - so glad you've joined us. I am with @N F C on the feed issue -- I look for nutrition first, and have never been one to jump on the Organic/Non-GMO bandwagon - but everyone has their own preferences so what is important is what YOU want to use for your birds.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    There are a lot of helpful people out there in the chicken world! [​IMG] If you have any questions just start a new thread and ask it it is ok to ask the question on a different thread![​IMG] Its not just chickens you have to talk about you can ask anything from ducks to rabbits you can ask them all and you can say what ever you want! [​IMG]

8. pachicken

Feb 26, 2017
    Thanks all for the welcoming!! We can't even say we are going to consume for the meat so really using organic really isn't advantageous at this point [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, pachickens, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our community! Best wishes to you and your flock! [​IMG]

10. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under pachicken [​IMG] Welcome!

Congratulations on your new feathered family; sounds like they are living the life of luxury!

Not sure if there is something similar where you are but here in Aus we feed a Certified Organic Coarse Layer Mash which also ticks the ‘nutritional needs’ boxes. I only have 5 x spoiled bantams who do not like the large pellets and this mix has smallish pellets. However, it is one of the more expensive brands. The good thing, because it is certified organic, the mix changes dependent on what organic grains etc are available and in what amount so they actually get a little variety. I notice that sometimes there is a little more or a little less of something in each 20KG bag.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by