Chicken making odd noises

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jjb1953, Nov 16, 2013.

1. jjb1953

jjb1953 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2013
    My 4 1/2 month old chickens began laying a couple of weeks ago. It started with one the first we or two ... then a second for a week or so and now 1 or 2 more are laying.
    One of them is making really odd noises. All day today she was was squawking as if she was in distress. Very loud. But when I would go check on her .... she just looked like she was laying ... though she would leave the nesting box for a while and keep going back in.
    I wondered if an egg was stuck and she was uncomfortable. Then she laid her first egg and the loud squawks continued.
    Later she started making a different type of noise I had never herd from a chicken. Almost like a vocal purr or a vocal wheeze. It actual sounds cute, but I am concerned as I have no idea what the noise is. Then later my daughter said the other chickens were pestering her (which I noticed they did to the other two birds when they started laying)
    She has no other signs of illness or anything.

Do these noises/behaviors sound typical or should I be on the lookout for something?

Thanks

Jen

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    Did it sound like this?

if so that's the normal eggs song. they will be making it a lot more now that they're laying

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Sounds like the egg song to me.If the pestering is not bad don't worry to much.They may just be working out the pecking order. But keep an eye on them.

4. jjb1953

May 6, 2013
    Ok I just watched the egg song videos.
    Yes that was the first noise (the alarming one)
    So funny that there is a universal chicken song.

:)

What about the second noise? If it continues, I will try and record it.

Thanks

Jen

5. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Am I correct in guessing no roosters are present?

6. jjb1953

May 6, 2013
    No Roosters.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Purpose behind "egg song" is to notify roosters in area the hen is receptive to mating. Egg song is greatly reduced is a rooster is about and covering hens. With rooster present, another "song" is likely to be produced that occurs immediately after hen leaves nest after an egg is deposited. Latter sound speeds her re-uniting with rooster and usually precedes her mating (being covered by) with him.

When no rooster is present, hens are increasing their effort in advertising to correct situation.

8. jjb1953

May 6, 2013
    OK. Interesting and makes sense.

Thanks for your reply.

Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by