Chicken making wheezing noises...again!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by montana girl, Aug 7, 2009.

1. montana girl

montana girl Songster

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    About a month or two ago I had a little bantam hen who started making really noisey sounds on inhale and exhale. No runny beak, no watery eyes, nothing at all different about her besides the wheezing sounds. When she would get excited or scared they would get really loud! I took the advice i found here and fed her bread that had been soaked in olive oil. It worked within minutes.

Today, she is wheezing again. Same as last time there are absolutely no other symptoms.
    I am taking the olive oiled bread out now, but why would this be happening? Any ideas? What exactly does the olive oil do?

Thanks
    Darlene

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    She has a respitory illness or most commonly refered to as CRD, Chronic Respitory Disease. The snake oil treatments will do nothing for her, you need real medication. Try and do a search on CRD as you will find many med's and many different app's for them. I know that when I had a few birds with your same simptoms I used Tylon 50 in an injectable form administered as 1cc per adult LF per day for 7 days. it cleared up just fine and has not returned.

AL

3. mzfancichicks

mzfancichicks Chirping

Jun 15, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Unfortunately, resp diseases are contagious if that's what this is. Have you isolated her? Hopefully it isn't CRD, there is a good website that may help you -

www.msucares.com/poultry

Also, I read a lot on here about probiotics and getting vitamins, etc into their system when they're getting down. Try a search on here for the recipes for these. The yogurt is really good for them.

good luck - Let us know how things turn out.

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Songster

May 15, 2009
    If she indeed does have CRD your best medication to get is Tylan soluable. See if any of the fffed stores have it. I found it online (no one around here had it) at firststatevetsupply.com

All of your chickens need to be treated for seven days. Mix 1/2 teaspoon powder with 1/2 gallon of water. Make sure this is the only water that is available to them so they will drink it. Make new batch every day.

5. montana girl

montana girl Songster

Aug 23, 2007
    Kalispell, Montana
    Okay thank you so much for the replies. I do have a couple of questions. If this hen has CRD, would it show up for a few hours a month or two ago and then go away when I fed her bread soaked in olive oil? Because that is exactly what happened. Also... the rest of the flock have been fine since that time, no one else seems to have this problem.

Would I notice other symptoms in her?

Yesterday the girls all had a big upset because we added a couple yards of sand to their run. They were so upset by the commotion that i had to put them in the coop until we were finished.

So could the upset, or the sand cause something like this?

It is a loud sound when she breathes, it does not seem to originate from her chest. It gets louder, like her vocal cords are involved?

Thanks for your help.

6. clucknkruks

clucknkruks Hatching

Jul 19, 2014
    Hollywood, Md.
    I'm following I have a rooster than is wheezing only on exhalation he definitely seems fine chasing the girls around but constantly hear this for the last two days.

7. clucknkruks

clucknkruks Hatching

Jul 19, 2014
    Hollywood, Md.
    I just noticed the date ugg of you get this let me know how it went. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: