1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Chicken mama laid baby ducklings! What's next ???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LNGSMITH, Oct 7, 2016.

1. LNGSMITH

LNGSMITH Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    I have a chicken who has just hatched baby duck eggs :) I see two of 6 eggs so far, however I'm now wondering what happens now. The nest is in our chicken coop in one of the nesting boxes and I'm trying to figure out how my chicken will feed/water the babies...

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Set a small dish of food and water in with them for now and when she has finished, move them to a low spot of their own... just make sure the ducklings get either a flock raiser crumble or you add brewers yeast to the chick starter since they need more niacin than chicks...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  3. LNGSMITH

LNGSMITH Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    Ok, from what i can see with only 2 of our eggs of 6 total hatched right now, do you suggest I take the hatched ducklings out of the nest so my chicken can lay on the unhatched eggs or should I leave the hatched ducklings in with my chicken???

4. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If you want her to raise them, leave them with her... maybe block off the nest with a screen or something so they don't fall out...

5. LNGSMITH

LNGSMITH Just Hatched

Aug 24, 2016
    So now I'm seeing 4 of 6 baby ducklings. We still have 2 to go !!! Do you know by chance if they can still hatch passed the 28th day ??? Today is the 28th day for all 6 eggs being under our broody chicken and in an incubator...

6. Ravynscroft

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    They can take up to 24hrs after the last has hatched... you could do a quick candle to see how they're doing...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by