1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken Management

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by laughingclown, May 12, 2012.

1. laughingclown

laughingclown Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    Linden, Michigan
    OK guys, need some help. I live in a small lot. All of my neighbors have allowed me to have chickens and they dont even like my rooster. However I dont want to piss them off. I bought a bunch of chicks so I could pick the best ones (Marans). I also hatched out a few EEs from my own girls. I kept 3 EEs and have sold some of the others. I now am stuck with 6 EE males that I cant get rid of. I put them on craigslist for free last week. No bites. I also have a bunch of Marans males as well. I honestly did not think I would so many. They are just a hair over a month old. One has started to crow. [​IMG]I originally was going to have the extras processed at 4-5 months but I dont know if I will make it. The city knows I have chickens and they have looked the other way at this point. I didnt want so many but this was the only way to try and get good stock. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    The best way to rid of roosters is to advertise a whole bunch. Put up signs in local feed stores, and tell friends. I usually end up selling most of the roos i do not want, but it might take a month or two.

3. hearts34

hearts34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2012
    Blount county, AL
    Find the nearest trade day and carry them. Usually you can sell them easy if your price is right. Free is a no brainer.[​IMG]

4. laughingclown

laughingclown Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2011
    Linden, Michigan
    Well as I have only been doing this for a year im not to familiar with trade days. I dont even think I have a regular feed store. I have to unload these guys within a month. All I know is either my ability to keep chickens goes or these guys do one way or the other. Hopefully it works itself out.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Is there a rooster sanctuary near you? Or maybe the humane society. If worse comes to worse, you can take them in and have them processed. Or perhaps process them yourself. It took my neighbors rooster a couple months to get his big voice, maybe you have more time with your CL listing.

Good luck. We are allowed roosters and have a couple in the neighborhood. I also have neighbors that hate the chickens. If I ever end up with boys, I do intend to keep only one. Our houses are not close together at all. We planted trees along side the coop that drowns out some of the noise.

Good luck!

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Given your circumstances, I would Craigslist them for free - no questions asked.

7. Renegade Rescue

Renegade Rescue Chillin' With My Peeps

do you know of any farmers markets near by you maybe able to take them or at least talk to a vendor selling eggs who may want them or know someone who does. Not sure where you are but we have tons of farmers markets and last time we went to our flea market we saw lots of people selling chickens and roosters so that may be a source has well. We have a livestock broker who buys our little ones if we choose to sell them.

8. heatherscooby77

heatherscooby77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Grantville, PA
    Auction???

9. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    X2 find an auction in your area. I made 131$ from 13 birds and 2 ducks. You have to give them like 20% but 105$ is better then giving them away free, like I had been doing.

10. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Dinner?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by