1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicken manure

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by brown egg 25, Jan 8, 2016.

1. brown egg 25

brown egg 25 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2016
    My does an amazing vegetable garden every year and this is the first year we have chickens. I heard that chicken manure is like magic if you use it right. I also heard if you dont you can kill your plants. Looking for tips tricks and truths. I want to help my wife.

2. UptownFlock

UptownFlock New Egg

May 15, 2015
    I have been wondering the same things. I'm going to follow this post!

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If you look down a bit in the gardening forum there are a few threads about composting with chicken manure. You might want to cruise through those and certainly come back with any questions.

Chicken manure is considered “hot”. If put directly on many garden plants it can damage or even kill them. I’ve killed a couple of tomato plants in the past with it. But once it has broken down it’s black gold to a gardener.

The best way to me is for you to build a compost pile. There are all kinds of ways to do that, some pretty easy and some complicated and requiring work. For good composting you need a combination of greens (nitrogen) and browns (carbon). Chicken manure is considered green. Your chicken bedding is probably a brown. It depends on what it is and how much manure is mixed with it how brown or green the mixture is.

There are so many different things I could type but most of it is covered in those other threads. If you have any questions at all just ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by