chicken maternity ward and nursery

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dixiegal62, Mar 13, 2012.

1. dixiegal62

dixiegal62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama
    Our chicken yard and coop is connected toour barn. We converted an unused stall in our barn over the weekend, added a door to the chicken yard and divided the yard with chicken wire. This way the hens and babies have their own yard but hopefully will still be part of the main flock, we also made it to where it could be taken down when not in need. The stall is still a bit darker than the main coop but not by much and they will now have a yard to get as much sunshine as they want. The whole project turned out so well we're going to expand the banty coop with a small stall next weekend. Couldn't be happier with it, I now have a chicken maternity ward and nursery [​IMG]

2. NadineAdele

NadineAdele Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Sounds like you have a great plan there!!! Good Luck with it!!

3. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Wow....sounds neat. Would love to see pictures :)

4. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    oI wish I had a barn but i have something similar except they can't get outside i just a large metal dog carrier and call it the momma apartment which is where my broody hen goes and where she hatches and raises her babies it works really good because everyone can see each other they just can't get to each other

5. dixiegal62

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama

We still have to put up the nests. I'll take some pitcures this weekend.

6. dixiegal62

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama

Sounds neat. We almost did something like that. Love the name Momma Apt. [​IMG]

7. dixiegal62

Mar 11, 2012
    Arab Alabama
    [​IMG]

Here's the outside of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by