Crowing
12 Years
Jun 5, 2011
North Central Texas
My Coop
My Coop
5-10 chickens + those are pretty, interesting or Heritage breeds=15<
15 + 3 that were hatched under your favorite hen = 18
18 chickens - 5 to stray dogs= Order from Murray McMurray or other hatchery because now you know which breeds are tougher, better for the area you live in and avoid hawks...
Answer is always the same: You now need a bigger coop.

6 sex links from tractor supply
-3 the first night
Needed to replace the 3 so got 6 more chicks on cl which turned out to be 5 cockerels and a pullet so too many roos gots 5 laying barred rocks and 3 easter eggers to fix the roo issue
Got an incubator and hatched 2 more chicks and went to get chick food at tractor supply picked up some more chicks at the sametime to keep the others warm
Did i mention theres been a pekin drake since day 1 which was lonely so i got him 3 muscovies and 3 mallards for company
Decided i dont like mallards and got 5 more muscovies
Neighbors 2 roos moved in
10 in incubator wow i gotta do a head count i thought i only had 40 or so birds
There all sound asleep while i watch out the window at 3 am waiting for the bobcat lol

:goodpost:
My chicken math went something like this:
15 layers + A rooster=6 chicks

+3 Game bantams, +2 more= Chicks, and more on the way

Add a silkie mix roo and two EE pullets=2 chicks

Add Polishes, Pekins and Fovorelles to the equation, plus the neighbours hen who is now broody to my rooster(21 eggs, what the heck!?)

Also one of the game bantams is sitting on 12!?

good thing I have understanding(kind of) parents!

And yes, the answer tends to be the same.

Chicken maths really gets you, doesn't it, I still can't quite bear to do a precise count.
If you know how many chickens you have, you don't have that many! Lol

:goodpost:
My chicken math went something like this:
15 layers + A rooster=6 chicks

+3 Game bantams, +2 more= Chicks, and more on the way

Add a silkie mix roo and two EE pullets=2 chicks

Add Polishes, Pekins and Fovorelles to the equation, plus the neighbours hen who is now broody to my rooster(21 eggs, what the heck!?)

Also one of the game bantams is sitting on 12!?

good thing I have understanding(kind of) parents!

And yes, the answer tends to be the same.

Chicken maths really gets you, doesn't it, I still can't quite bear to do a precise count.

Moved into a house with 4 chickens that I inherited (2 roos, 2 hens)
4-1 to a predator one night =3

Assumed hens were too old to lay. Went 4 months with zero eggs. Checked coop one day and FOUND 5 EGGS! This officially began the addiction. Cracked them to see if they were fertile. They were. Got online, ordered an incubator....waited for the hussies to lay more. They laid TWO in a month! Said oh well and started incubating them. One hatched.

3+1=4 (back to my starting number)

Finally after another month, I had collected 24 eggs. Incubated, 19 hatched. 4+19=23

11 identifiable roos...had a butchering fest.

23-11=12

Found an OG mama hen dead. Down to 11.

Husband said I still had too many roos and I needed to get rid of them before I added more hens. Re-homed 2. Down to 9.

Added some adult hens...11...I’m at 20.

Decided it was time to expand our family. Ordered 16 chicks. And because I am impatient...hatched some from eggs someone gave me. 13 hatched, sold 4.

20+16+13=49
49-4=45
I think I had more but 2 of my chicks died after I received them, the hatchery sent 1 extra, and 1 or 2 died after hatching. This is where the math gets fuzzy.

Stupid dog killed 5.
45-5=40

I can’t believe I remember all of this.

Back
Top Bottom