Chicken math and keeping a happy flock

amymboxer

Chirping
Mar 19, 2016
So my chicken math is quite crazy. I went from 6 tractor supply sex linked chicks to 25 chicks of different breeds including silkies. However the roosters cannot stay due to noise laws. I do have neighbors. My current set up is good for 15 full sized chickens plus chicken tunnels in the near future. I think I will atleast have the smaller birds kept seperate from the larger ones. Is it better to have 1 large coop or split into smaller groups. I would like to limit too much picking on one another. I have only kept 2 of the sex links and opted for other breeds such as BBS english orpington, belevandars, easter eggers, double laced wyandotte, beliguim maline and BBS amerucana.

Last edited:
So my chicken math is quite crazy. I went from 6 tractor supply sex linked chicks to 25 chicks of different breeds including silkies. However the roosters cannot stay due to noise laws. I do have neighbors. My current set up is good for 15 full sized chickens plus chicken tunnels in the near future. I think I will atleast have the smaller birds kept seperate from the larger ones. Is it better to have 1 large coop or split into smaller groups. I would like to limit too much picking on one another. I have only kept 2 of the sex links and opted for other breeds such as BBS english orpington, belevandars, easter eggers, double laced wyandotte, beliguim maline and BBS amerucana.
Would be best to have one large coop split into separate sections.
How big (feet by feet) is your coop that's 'good for 15 full sized chickens'?

Just my $0.02 but I'd go with a single coop split into sections. I don't think you could go wrong either way but it would probably be cheaper and take up less space to build one large structure. That's what I'm planning to do. Just so ya know, I've also been diagnosed with stage 18 of chicken math disease, a particularly virulent strain, so I know where you're coming from, believe me.

I can't say I haven't been tempted to get way more chickens than I can afford to house,
what stops me is the thought of my birds living in less than a healthy sized environment...then it's easy.

Chicken math is not just 'addition'...but also should include Division, Multiplication and especially Subtraction!!!

....... Just so ya know, I've also been diagnosed with stage 18 of chicken math disease, a particularly virulent strain, so I know where you're coming from, believe me.
OMG I choked on this and my soda came out my nose. You've got to have warnings when you post things like this....
lau.gif

It's a disease....and sadly there is NO cure
wee.gif

Just my $0.02 but I'd go with a single coop split into sections. I don't think you could go wrong either way but it would probably be cheaper and take up less space to build one large structure. That's what I'm planning to do. Just so ya know, I've also been diagnosed with stage 18 of chicken math disease, a particularly virulent strain, so I know where you're coming from, believe me.
yuckyuck.gif
Love the way you both put it, that's hilarious!!!
gig.gif

I suffer a particularly virulent strain of chicken math myself.
hide.gif

As for the thread question, I think it depends on a few variables.
If you happen to live where your winters are very cold, a large coop split up is probably easier to maintain heat wise.
It might depend on how you're run is set up and how the chickens have access to it.
It might depend on the breeds you have and their tolerance for each other.
It may also depend on the ages of your chickens and whether you'll be adding additional chickens to the flock.

I have a flock that varies greatly in size, (OEGB, EE, Silkies, Barred rock/speckled Sussex) but I have vary little issues within the size range. I do have more issue with younger birds vs older birds, because the younger ones haven't established pecking order. I have my coop sectioned in 1/3-2/3 for roosters/females, a large double decker cage brooder to bring in younger birds to acquaint them and a section for the guineas part time. It could be sectioned further but the chickens may be moved to a much larger building that's already sectioned into several areas.

Back
Top Bottom