lsmontgomery76

Chirping
Apr 24, 2019
We just moved to Edmond from Duncan. We were only allowed 3 hens...well thanks to local farm stores we had roos, which were a no-no. Luckily, we knew several country folk who didn't mind a new roo here n there. We currently have 10 large ladies, 2 bantam hens, and I went to a swap meet and traded my two VERY noisy Roos for 2 tiny bantam Australorps, named Giggles and Chuckles. They are much quieter, and sound like squeaker toys when they crow! Our two tiny bantams were separated from the flock because everyone picked on them! Now they are a family of 4 and I hope we see some chicks eventually, because our black bantam is a super mom and adopts any new chicks we have brought home. I look forward to seeing her hatch a few with our new boys!

We have a golden laced Cochin, 2 silver laced hens, 2 Americaunas, 3 Rhode Island Reds, 1 HUGE Buff Orphington, and 1 black hen that was mixed in at some point. So 10 big girls, 2 tiny girls 2 tiny fellas. (We also have 7 bunnies, 9 cats, and 2 dogs). Fortunately, we are outside city limits, in Logan County, and renting a place with nearly 2 acres. Our landlord knew up front that we wanted to have small farm animals and enjoy that part of living in the country. Our neighbors are also his renters, and they have chickens, and ducks, and have started hatching! They had a goat, and that's definitely on our list! We go to the swap meet in Spencer, and see turkeys, peafowl, bunnies, sheep, and goats, and it's hard to leave without an armload of cuties! The chickens we started with are a yr old now. Production for eggs is pretty steady, but we are mostly in it for the social/entertainment factor. We love the personalities of several of our older ladies, and are really attached. We bought a coop that is an 8×20 that is made like a storage building. It is a great investment, but I'm really looking into portable runs, since it takes a forklift to move the coop now. Our grass there is obliterated. We let the girls free range sometimes, but only when our neighbors aren't home lol, since keeping them cooped up is the landlord's preference (idk why).

So, we started with a town that allows 3 hens, and have added, swapped, moved, and added some more. Honestly, if I could, I'd buy every new type I could find. I want Easter Eggers, more Cochins, more laced varieties, a few Polish, Silkies, some ducks. A Peacock, quail. Alpacas, goats, and bee hives. I only wish I had oodles of money to build habitats, buy babies, and I wish I'd started younger. I'm in my early 40's, and the moving pens for the bunnies, building mini coops for the newcomers, and clean up is tough on my bad back. So I'm reminding myself I can only invest so much physically without the help of my kids and husband. As long as they are enjoying it, I can probably keep going and they'll go with anything I want. So I try to not go too crazy when I think of something else I want to add or change, lol.

Laramy Montgomery- originally from Poplar Bluff, Missouri, transplanted to Duncan, OK in 2010, Edmond, OK 2019. 2 kids, 16yo son with Aspergers, 14yo daughter in Middle School who is my animal lover/country girl, husband of 18 yrs who is gone 14 days, home 7 in the oilfield.

Howdy. A still Missourian here. Welcome I'm still new here myself but can tell ya I don't think there is a better place on the net for Bird info especially chickens but I"m looking at ducks soonish and discovering there is plenty of info for that too. Sounds to me like you will love it here. And here will love you.

Hello and welcome to BYC - it’s great that you have joined us. Please make yourself at home.

This is a useful link of “How to” BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3. I’d suggest including your location using the guide in the link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

I only wish I had oodles of money to build habitats, buy babies, and I wish I'd started younger. I'm in my early 40's, and the moving pens for the bunnies, building mini coops for the newcomers, and clean up is tough on my bad back. So I'm reminding myself I can only invest so much physically without the help of my kids and husband. As long as they are enjoying it, I can probably keep going and they'll go with anything I want. So I try to not go too crazy when I think of something else I want to add or change, lol.

Laramy Montgomery- originally from Poplar Bluff, Missouri, transplanted to Duncan, OK in 2010, Edmond, OK 2019. 2 kids, 16yo son with Aspergers, 14yo daughter in Middle School who is my animal lover/country girl, husband of 18 yrs who is gone 14 days, home 7 in the oilfield.

Welcome! I'm just now starting, at 50, in a town that only allows 3 hens. I have hopes the state law saying they can't restrict us below 6 will pass, and am having a coop built big enough for 6! I'm semi-handicapped, and can't do much physically either - my 16 year old teen is an animal lover and future vet tech, so she's all gung ho, they'll be our chickens together. And there is talk about future bunnies in the yard too. And I have a 15 year old on the spectrum somewhere around where autism becomes Aspergers. So we have a lot in common! I wish I could move into the country, but it's not likely to happen. I've been on here a year learning, and we were supposed to get our chicks today, but no, tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom