8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
The plan was to get 4 grown hens,
D.gif
then it changed to get 4 pullet chicks,
jumpy.gif
then 6 chicks....DH came home with 8!!!
yippiechickie.gif
He had already started building the coop for 4 and is now having to double the size!
wee.gif

Tonight I mixed starter with some water and had them eating out of my hand. They are so cute!

It got us too.... planned on 5 pullets, got 6 hens and a rooster, already planning on adding about 4 more!

(good thing we have a coop that will hold about 15....)
big_smile.png

DH has designed a chicken math friendly coop. He builds 4 foot panels and uses screws so can just build more panels, unscrew, insert extension, rescrew. He is so wise....
old.gif

Just getting started building/designing my chicken tractor. Got photos of those 4 foot panels? and how would you screw them together?? I was thinking 4x8 foot panels and two door hinges to hold them together as the top of my chicken tractor.

I have hawks, racoons, skunk, cats, and loose dogs to worry about. Had not thought about opossums but they are in the area, too.

Originally the coop was going to be for 4 chickens so he was making 4' panels
81420_p3020014.jpg

Here the 4 panels are put together
81420_p3080016.jpg

Then chicken math got us and we got 8 chickens. So, he made 2 additional 4' panels and added them to make it 4 x 8.
81420_p3200019.jpg

It is all held together with 3" deck screws. He is going to make frames with hardware cloth to screw into the bottom. We are going to use the dog kennel and attach to the coop. There are cement pavers already in place from when we had the dog in there and we will put sand over them. We're having fun as we go. Good luck!

that's an awesome coop...

chicken math did me dirty too... i just wanted one chicken... ONE!!!... and now i have over 38 after getting rid of 27 chickens somehow... sigh...

you'll see... you'll see... pretty soon you're gonna need to build a third or fourth coop...

LOL...

Back
Top Bottom