Chicken math got us!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CherBru, Mar 17, 2011.

1. CherBru

CherBru Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2011
    The plan was to get 4 grown hens, [​IMG] then it changed to get 4 pullet chicks, [​IMG] then 6 chicks....DH came home with 8!!! [​IMG] He had already started building the coop for 4 and is now having to double the size! [​IMG]
    Tonight I mixed starter with some water and had them eating out of my hand. They are so cute!

2. slickchik

slickchik Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern California
    Ummm, you will probably want to do more than double the size... Trust me!! [​IMG]

3. jenanneray

jenanneray Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Franklinton, NC
    It got us too.... planned on 5 pullets, got 6 hens and a rooster, already planning on adding about 4 more!

(good thing we have a coop that will hold about 15....)[​IMG]

4. CherBru

Mar 2, 2011
    DH has designed a chicken math friendly coop. He builds 4 foot panels and uses screws so can just build more panels, unscrew, insert extension, rescrew. He is so wise.... [​IMG]

5. vanalpaca

vanalpaca Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Clyde in NW Ohio
    Just getting started building/designing my chicken tractor. Got photos of those 4 foot panels? and how would you screw them together?? I was thinking 4x8 foot panels and two door hinges to hold them together as the top of my chicken tractor.

I have hawks, racoons, skunk, cats, and loose dogs to worry about. Had not thought about opossums but they are in the area, too.

6. CherBru

Mar 2, 2011
    Originally the coop was going to be for 4 chickens so he was making 4' panels
    [​IMG]

Here the 4 panels are put together
    [​IMG]

Then chicken math got us and we got 8 chickens. So, he made 2 additional 4' panels and added them to make it 4 x 8.
    [​IMG]

It is all held together with 3" deck screws. He is going to make frames with hardware cloth to screw into the bottom. We are going to use the dog kennel and attach to the coop. There are cement pavers already in place from when we had the dog in there and we will put sand over them. We're having fun as we go. Good luck!

7. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    that's an awesome coop...

chicken math did me dirty too... i just wanted one chicken... ONE!!!... and now i have over 38 after getting rid of 27 chickens somehow... sigh...

you'll see... you'll see... pretty soon you're gonna need to build a third or fourth coop...

LOL...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by