Chicken math - how do you manage?

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
I learned early about chicken math. We were originally going to start with 5 pullets (barred rocks). Two weeks later I picked up two Ameraucana chicks, followed by 3 silkie chicks a few days later. Then two Icelandic chicks.

Anyway, 3 years later and I’ve kept it mostly under control (currently 9 hens 1-3 years old) until I bought the incubator. 9 in the incubator and nowhere to put them led us to coop #2 (custom built by my husband! Good thing he loves to build things!). I could have sectioned off my first coop but didn’t want to do that to my girls!

I see many posts of chicken math. How does everyone have room to keep adding? My plan is to raise these ones, subtract the roosters, keep a couple pullets I really love.....and then incubate some bantams and do the same. I guess chicken subtraction is the key to chicken math, haha!

I guess chicken subtraction is the key to chicken math
Yes, yes, it is......and don't hatch if you don't have space to keep them.
I hatch and harvest every year.
Can't, and don't want to, build more coops.
So I have hen soup and grilled cockerel.
Went thru one winter with a crowded coop, it was ugly, never again.

Yes, yes, it is......and don't hatch if you don't have space to keep them.
I hatch and harvest every year.
Can't, and don't want to, build more coops.
So I have hen soup and grilled cockerel.
Went thru one winter with a crowded coop, it was ugly, never again.

I can imagine!
I told my husband the second coop is a grow out coop. I want it empty by winter so I only have one coop to maintain over winter. I will either sell, process or integrate these chicks and any others.

I started out with a dozen pullets. Had to start buying egg cartons for all those eggs. There were only 2 of us living in the house. I gave away a lot of eggs. Even then could not give away all I was getting. As predators took the free ranging chickens things evened out. Last fall I gave my neighbor the chickens I had left. Started this spring with a new flock. Got 3 started pullets from the hatchery. Those will supply more than enough eggs for my household and give me some to give away occasionally.

Sure I would love to have a larger flock. I adore Cochins and Salmon Faverolles. Sadly those breeds go broody all too often. I do want some eggs. So now I have a Leghorn, a RIR, and an EE. The girls seem happy in their coop built for 12.

I am a lifetime practitioner of chicken math and have had as many as 142 at one time back in late 2012 in SW VA. A move to Southside VA for a new job at that time had me without chickens for 4 years. In 2017, I was going to get five pullets but after a couple of orders from Cackle Hatchery that year and again in 2018, along with a half dozen TSC chicks from last August, I am up to 17 bantams and 19 mixed large breed birds. My poor wife understands my addiction but has requested that I no longer brood chicks in the house. She may have to get a bit more understanding. ;)

My brooder is in the attached garage, which is much better! The chicks go to their separate coop area by three weeks of age, or a bit sooner. We started brooding in the house, awful!
Mary
The dust from the growing chicks does get bad by week 2 and I generally move the chicks to their separate outdoor coop at 3 weeks of age and have had no problems with that approach. I do need to build a garage.

We have a raised ranch, which we bought because we liked the land. This design is unpopular, not beautiful, BUT the garage is in the lower level, under the bedrooms, and never freezes in winter, or gets hot in summer. It's wonderful! The brooder is out there, ambient temps about 50F, with freezing spring weather outside.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom