chicken math is stiking - Help me curb it!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Life is Good!, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Chicken lovers of America - SAVE ME!

I have a small flock of Black Java's - 5 hens, 1 rooster; now 1 year old. They've been a GREAT flock! And I know that they'll molt next fall/winter, which means no eggs [​IMG] This makes me VERY sad.

So, I'll need to add 6-12 NEW Black Java's to the flock in order to have new layers, right?
    I'd like these new ones to be added by mid-May. They'll hopefully start laying before it gets too cold - mine layed well ALL winter!

Trouble is - no one's broody. I'd rather not incubate. I can get chicks May 20th, but that's really cutting it on the edge of when I'd like to have the chicks by.

And this year, we've decided to try broilers...so I'm getting a lot of 25 Freedom Rangers on Good Friday!

So, please, help me - tell me NO MORE chicks!!! Explain to my heart the reasons my head is screaming (feed costs, clean up, pasty butt, worry the power's going to go out in a thunderstorm.....) Because my heart is saying - just call and see if you can get Black Java chicks to go in with the Freedom Rangers....

So far, I've resisted the urge to pick up the phone....but I feel like a war is raging in my head.............

[​IMG]

Thank you for your support. I don't need that many more birds....I don't need that many more birds.....

I'm NOT building a coop this year - I'm building a perimeter fence so they can free range!!! I'm NOT building a coop this year - I'm building a fence!

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    You've come to the wrong place. Everyone here is an enabler.

3. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Really? Do you really want to stop? I don't. But I did. My husband's stress level wouldn't tolerate it so I just don't. I pet, I pick up, I visit other chicks whenever I can. But I don't buy. I don't bring home. I think of my sweet, dear, gentle husband who would literally have a heart attack if I showed up with any more than we have now. I pushed it with the duck eggs that I just set today. His reaction to me receiving the eggs was proof to me not to over do it. Maybe in a year, two years yes I can have more. As mine age, it would wise to get some more. But not now. I had to know when to stop so I did. Six was enough not just for me but for my husband.

If you really want to stop you'll find a way. Otherwise, have fun!

4. ChicknThief

ChicknThief Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awwww look at how cute I am! And just think how self sufficient and responsible you are being! After all, we provide eggs! Besides, I am sure those freedom rangers will get sooo lonely without us....

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Go to TSC!!!!!! [​IMG]

6. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Resistance is Futile. Give in to the urge. No one on BYC is going to talk you out of it.

7. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]
    Stop????
    How could anyone stop?

8. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    lol When DH said 25 was enough chicks I started adding ducks lol They dont count towards chicken math lol. I now have 6 more duck eggs coming and 10+ Guinea egg coming to incubate.

9. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    ***shaking head*** Sorry folks, I'm not adding to my flocks as of yet - I've managed to look at it from a very practical viewpoint. These are farm animals, NOT my precious house pets. Yes, I think they're wonderful. Yes, I know they're a beautiful creation from the Lord. Yes, they're here for a very practical reason - fill my fridge and soon to be freezer. But, being a responsible owner means that I KNOW MY LIMITATIONS!

Having any creature in poor care is wrong, any way you look at it. I adore cats, but restrict myself to enjoying the presence of 1 very lucky feline for his lifetime (now 18yrs young and going strong) - not the entire house full! I love my dog, but understand that I'm not going to be breeding him just for more cutie-faced puppies to play with. Same deal here. If I cannot take care of it, the hearts desire will not be met in this way. So, I'll enjoy the images of your peeping chicks, marvel over your youtube videos of the fluffy friends - and KNOW that I'm being a strong chicken momma by waiting until the proper time. My flocks will benefit from my restraint. (Just as my indoor critters do). So, no more room in the coop? Then, I'll wait until there is room - and know they'll be chicks out here somewhere for me when it IS time.

Thought I'd find someone like minded - but guess I missed finding them somehow. Perhaps it's you - thank you for reading this!

10. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    I totally understand what you are saying and that you are Serious about this , especially with the DH problem going on. You and I Think Alot alike, so you are NOT alone and Please don't ever feel that way with this. Ok ? I , too know when my chick limit is and respecting the wishes of a loved one shows THEM that They are loved and have priority over what YOU want and feel and not to mention the care of any birds you might by because of You wanting them. So , I AM here for ya if you need support. Ok. ?:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by