Chicken Math... it might be getting to me.

MalMom

Songster
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Colorado
Today my coworker asked me if I wanted any more chickens. He wants to get rid of his flock and knew I had two. I'm only allowed up to six hens where I live so my plan was to have these two for about two years, and then when their laying days fell off adding a new young chick, and between the three I'd have enough eggs, etc. Well I'm still not convinced that one of my girls is a girl. If she turns out to be a he, not a she, I'll need another so my one hen has someone to snuggle during the winter. My chickens are hand raised and very sweet. My coworker said he could give me one of his Barred Rocks because they were very sweet. I looked them up and I think that is what my sister has. I'm not sure if that would be a good one to add or not. My girls are RIR or production reds more likely. I don't know that I want a broody hen. I wouldn't mind if I could have a rooster and the hen could actually hatch eggs but I'm not sure I want one that will sit on eggs all the time. My sister has a problem with hers being broody and it seams like she (the chicken) never gets over it. Also, I know sooner or later mine will start laying, but it's going to be a while. The one I know is a hen has a bright red comb, and waddles, but the face is still pale as can be. She is 21 weeks. I would really like some eggs! Ideas, opinions, suggestions?

Last edited:
Keep what? My coworker's chicken? My rooster if it is a rooster? All of the birds? I'm sorry I don't understand. I can not keep my bird if it does turn out to be a rooster as I am not zoned to have roosters. I am keeping it until I know for sure though. I have never planned of getting rid of it before I know one way or the other.

Back
Top Bottom