Chicken math? LOL

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vickichicki, Mar 10, 2013.

1. vickichicki

vickichicki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    So I spent the day making a poop board in the coop, after I was done I did a full clean of the floor and nest boxes. Left the coop at 5pm. Went to collect around 9am next morning.... and...

[​IMG]

I have 9 hens one Roo....

Is this what they call chicken math?.... [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  2. TheCrazyChick

TheCrazyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

The first time that happened to me, I was also quite confused. 3 hens currently laying and got 4 eggs in one day. Then I discovered that one (or more) of them has a tendency to "hide" their eggs. They throw all of the pine shavings into a corner on top of the eggs til its like 2 feet tall. No matter how many times I rake through that corner, I always find an egg after the fact. One time I found 2.Those brown ones blend in really well!

I am thinking I have a hen who is thinking of going broody and is trying to save up eggs for a broody day.

3. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If they were saving for broody that would be nice.

I know for a fact the entire coop was cleaned. I found one in the middle of the floor (if it was on the floor yesterday I would have stepped on it at some point) 9 eggs in the nest boxes. I assume one was waiting for me to finish before they were going to lay. Still impressed with the extra egg in such short time. I did not even count them while collecting, I set them out in the kitchen and discovered the 10.
    Doubt I am going to see that again.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I can assure you that chickens know as much about math as a mouse knows about time travel. If a hen pips 20 chicks she is as happy as a dead pig in the Sun shine as long as she still has one chick alive. Likewise a hen is happy to sit on one egg as she is to hover 2 dozen.

Tell us how many eggs you get the next day or the day before the 10 eggs from 9 hens day.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    "Chicken Math" isn't a measure of how many eggs you get--it's all about how many chickens you plan to buy, vs. how many birds you end up with!

Here's my example of my chicken math from 2012:
    13 current hen and one rooster. Want 12 more hens.
    Make my egg order To get all the breeds I wanted (and I like at least three of each breed) I order 30. I assume I'll give some to a friend. Get two extra pullets and a free rare chick. That brings me to
    47 birds.
    See some older chicks on deep discount at TSC. Six chick minimum. That makes 53.
    Decide I need some white Leghorns because we need some white eggs in the basket. Pick up six pullets. That's 59.
    A teacher buys hatching eggs from us, and then can't place the chicks and brings 13 babies back to us. That's 72.
    My dad and his girlfriend give my kids two chicks each as Easter presents. That's 76.
    A friend of a friend is moving, and has to get rid of his pullets. Gives us six. That's 82.
    Wanted some new blood, put an ad on BYC for some roosters. Was very kindly given 2. That's 84 birds.

Sooo... before I sold some pullets and older hens and took the roosters to auction and did actually give some to a friend my chicken math was: WANTED 25 chickens. HAD 84!!!! (And even after selling a bunch of birds, I still have 52...)

And that, my friends, is a very bad case of chicken math! [​IMG]

(edited to add--I didn't take the roosters I was given to auction! I took the roosters from my straight run batches of chickens to auction! Don't want giver to think her roosters don't have a happy place to live!)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  6. TheCrazyChick

What she said. x2. I have a similar story, although not so intense. Wanted 3, now have 10 with 10 more coming in the next few weeks. That will make 19 or 20. Long ways off from 3.

7. vickichicki

Sep 2, 2012
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    LOL... I too am suffering the chicken math issue. DH purchased 10 chickens for me (9 hens and 1 Roo, not bad as a pullet run). They are now at around 26 weeks

After mulling things over decided I would like a few more, add a little colour to the flock, maybe get a few broody breeds so they can hatch a bunch of my RIR current lays for next years rotation.

11 more were purchased this month. Now I am working out how to convert my barn to accommodate the new ones! As I got bantams, this means there would be more than enough room in the barn for more than 11 (taking into account some with be roosters and I will need more to fill the totals back up after they are gone)

The chicken math on my eggs amused me. If my 9 girls were all broody and laying 10 at a go... well eventually it would end up being 'real' chicken math.

8. TheCrazyChick

Hah! I did chicken math on my potential egg count over the weekend. Came up with 357 dozen for 12 months. It is just my husband and I here, so I will be giving away lots of eggs family, friends, and neighbors. Clients, too. I think I will start advertising myself as The Crazy REALTOR Chick!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by