Chicken Math sigh You might need a calculator for this post

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moonkssd, May 9, 2011.

1. Moonkssd

Moonkssd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2011
    Marietta, Pa
    When I first started coming to this site about a year ago I read about chicken math. I have to admit I rolled my eyes at it. Well I have succumbed and it got me.
    This year I wanted to add more to my little flock just a couple. I ordered 29 chicks to be split up between 4 people. 3 days before those chick got here I ran into a GREAT Deal so I bought 30 chicks 3 days later the 29 arrived I know I dont need all of these chicks so I decided to sell some. Well somewhere along the line I ended up selling all that I had and now I had none for myself. SO now wooo hoo I get to buy more chicks yeah.... sooooo yesterday I found someone selling silkies and it was a great deal and I have always wanted some so I was supposed to buy 3 which ended up to be 5 ok not so bad. I needed more chicken feeders and waterers and yes I know you experienced chicken people know where this is going. Needless to say it is very dangerous at Tractor supply this time of year and they are winding down their chick day ...sigh and of course me not being to pass on a deal bought 15 more chicks and as i pulled away I actually thought I should have bought more:drool. This is a sickness I tell you. Is there a cure????? And at what point will that wonderful patient husband of mine stop just shaking his head and stop building places to put chickens?

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    This is why I avoid the farm stores, I do have to go get feed and I am just hoping I have waited long enough. However I do have 5 eggs under a broody right now after getting 7 new chicks at tractor supply.

3. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Ummm--there is no cure and I have taken to building coops myself. I had one silkie hatch out of six eggs in march so I got a dozen more from a breeder down south. Had 5 hatch so ended up with six. Okay, I had my little pets and they were soo cute. One black and 5 blue. Perusing craigslist last week, I saw and ad for 5 newly hatched silkies. In colors that I wanted. Hmmm, babies are ready to go out into their coop soooo I would have room in the brooder box.....yup, I bought them at a great price! Now I have one black, 3 partridge/lav split and one porcelan. DH wasnt happy but didnt explode so thats good. Now I have to build another coop! The porcelan has drawn my 2 dd to the dark side though. I found them holding it. Gotta love silkie mind control!!!

4. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    I'm very limited on how many I can have (3) so I now call the feed store before heading that way to make sure they don't have any chicks in stock. I feel your pain. [​IMG]

5. melschicks

melschicks Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Dennis Port, MA
    Well, I was initially bummed that we don't have tractor supply etc to get feed (we have to get at Agway), but it might be a blessing!!! No baby chicks available to tempt me!

6. humboldtpeeps

humboldtpeeps Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    Quote:This is brilliant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by