Chicken Math Strikes again!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by write2caroline, Aug 29, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Okay - we got some chicks 26 last june and unfortunately, 6 didn't make it leaving us 20 very happy healthy chicks, sold two of them right? 20-2 = 18. But now there is 19 in the run. I put 18 to bed last night and found one outside and thought poor baby how did I miss putting you to bed.....then I counted them as I released the rest out of their coop....1....2....3....15....16.....17......18....18! Wait a minute! We had three white chicks and suddenly we have 4! It sure looks like my leghorn but I only had 1 and now there are two...wonder if its a roo and some neighbor released it!

Nice little chicken - very wet from the rain and hungery.

No honey, I did not buy another chicken! See I swear...I had nothing to do with this chicken math this time!

Of course we have 39 chickens now total of which 5 are roos and maybe this leghorn is also a roo ....I will never have to "buy" a chicken ever again
    Bwaaaaahaaaaahaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    LOL
    Caroline

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    WOW you just gave me a great idea! If I "happen" to get more I could just say they were "stray chickens" wandering the neighborhood and I HAD to take them in! [​IMG] Of course I don't really have to do that since I have brought DH over to the dark side and he has given me "permission" to have as many chickens as I want. Just have to stay within the HOA numbers. [​IMG]

3. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I just thought I was crazy and left a chicken out. I try to count them all at night and be sure no one is locked out so when I counted them coming out I just couldn't believe it. I think this leghorn is close to the age of my pullets because it is about the same size and weight but it's comb is slightly more red. Might be a Roo. My neighbor wants to keep it so I am going to give it to her. What is one more beak to feed.
    Caroline

4. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    [​IMG] Love it! Hmmmm...wondering if I can use the same excuse with my hubby. [​IMG]

5. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    dsqard please tell me how you got you husband over to the chicen side? Mine likes the chickens but keep telling me no more. I have sneaked a few more in here and there by saying it was such a good deal etc and now I am hatching some but sooner or later unless I can get him to think like me he is going to get wise to my plans.

6. write2caroline

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Oh he says over and over not to get any more chickens and says he is not interested in them at all
    BUT
    He sells my eggs at work (He didn't tell me until after he did it!)
    He tells EVERYONE at work he raises chickens - um I think I did the raising here!
    He refused to build the first coops then he got a wild hair and built me a run which he is expanding for "more" chickens, he built a brooder for my broody and the chicks, then he built some feeders, a nest box and finally a pallet coop. I catch him finding and bringing home pallets.

What I think it really is? He is not a great carpenter (Andy is amazing at organizing stuff and making 2x2 stuff fit into a 1x1 space) but he does enjoy building stuff and gets a lot of satisfaction over the projects he has done so far. I think my chickens give him many opportunities to make stuff and I think he really likes it plus - the neighbors come over and ooooh and awwww his handy work so there is a lot of pride and satisfaction and that helps plus when people hand him money and ask for eggs Caaaaa Ching! Well who doesn't like a little pocket money now and then.

It is not an easy road to bring em over to the chicken side but keep trying and like my mother always told me.....act helpless. Truth be told, I studied engineering and physics in college and I am very handy with tools but I married a guy that likes to be the knowledgable one when it comes to building stuff so I just let him and kind of act a little helpless.

Caroline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by