Chicken Math strikes again

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PDXcluck, Apr 6, 2012.

1. PDXcluck

PDXcluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    So as you can see in my sig line, we have 3 chicks, a 4 week old RIR, 3 wk SF and a 3 wk DB.

Yesterday, my wife said, I think we should get another one this weekend!

Now we are wondering what breed to add. A local store has two 3 week old RIRs which age-wise would fit in nicely, and we would like another good producing breed. But, I am a little concerned to have 2 of a more aggressive breed, with 2 docile breeds.

I am wondering if we add another RIR, do you think it will be more likely that the two RIRs would 'team up' on the other two and create problems?

We are also considering getting an EE if for no other reason than colorful eggs for the kids.

Given our current flock, what are your breed recommendations? Does it matter?

Thanks!

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    I've never had these breeds before but it seems a little funky that they would team up. I think if they were to grow up together they would be fine ;) No breed recommendations, I would just suggest to stay within the size range of each bird i.e. dont have your RIR's and then go get a Jersey Giant lol. [​IMG]

3. PDXcluck

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    In case it matters and to avoid confusion, I've learned that I likely don't have a "real" rhode island red, but a production red, as these came from a local feed store and not a breeder.

We will probably go get one (or maybe both) of the 3 week old "RIR" to add to the flock.

Thanks for the reply

4. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    The feed store that I got my chicks from had a breeders board that showed the different breed and also gave the name of the breeder. You might double check with the store.Even so that production red might be a better bird in some situations{ eggs and temperment}.

5. PDXcluck

Mar 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    I inquired about the RIR and found out that it is supposedly bred to be a RIR and not a "production red". Though when the guy started describing what that meant it sounded like he had it backwards compared to what I've read here on the forums, he said something about the production reds being darker, whereas the breeders here say the opposite? I am going to assume that it is not a 'true' RIR but some kid of production hybrid. I am excited to see how she (hopefully) turns out.

We did get another chick on Saturday, a 3 wk old light sussex. QualityPolish, I know you suggested to stay within the size range, but I already had a Dark Brahma and a Salmon Faverolle (7-8 lbs each) so I figured another heavy breed wouldn't be a problem. Our RIR is a bit older and definitely the aggressor and leader of the flock so far.

I am glad we were able to get some less common breeds and am really looking forward to watching their personalities develop. So far they are friendly to each other and to us, though still a little afraid of the Big Hands reaching into the brooder.

Thanks to you both for the replies.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by