Chicken Math

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by annchristine, Nov 21, 2011.

1. annchristine

annchristine Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2010
    Coarsegold -YLP
    I have 10 assorted chicks (7 weeks now) that we hatched out from EBAY eggs (6 brabanters, 1 cochin, 2 houdans, 1 blue laced wynadotte). I think 1 houdan and 3 brabanters are roos. Also have 4 hens (2 ameracaunas, 1 seabright, 1 polish) that are 2 years in the spring.

I hatched the eggs to replace my 2 favorite girls that I lost to a coyote during free range time last summer (new free range rules now).
    I have a 4X8 coop with an attache 16X16 run. I know I should be looking for homes for the roos, but I want to be sure I am correct on my sexing (especially the brabanters, they are tricky).

I am still keeping the young ones separated from the hens with modifications to the coop and run. If I can't find good homes for the boys, is it crazy chicken math to consider keeping them all? What if I built another run. Please don't laugh, I've just gotten too attached to the babies.

2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    Ah, dreaded chicken math. You have good company. I impulsively bought 12 chicks from a farm supply store well over a year ago. That led to a $4000 coop and run...which lead to 30 more chicks ("I need to pick up more feed. Oh, looky there, chicks. We don't have THAT breed yet..." x 10) which has since led to two incubators, 3 brooders, a second $2,000 coop and run. I currently have 20 breeds, 45 chicks and chickens, and 35 eggs of 5 breeds in various states of development. Happily, I have had very successful integrations of new birds (I also carefully select for breeds that handle confinement well), but sadly, we are not allowed to have roos. I have had success in placing them in good homes in counties that allow roos.

Enjoy the chicken math. It is very, very fun [​IMG] And there are worse things to be addicted to (at least that is what I keep telling myself).

3. annchristine

Dec 22, 2010
    Coarsegold -YLP
    Thanks for your affirmation. I agree about the addiction! Although we have 6 hilly acres, we are in an association that only allows the chickens through a 4-H permit.
    I had no plans for roosters but the little guys are already such characters (and friendly). I may try keeping 1 or 2 until I get a complaint. I do want them to go to good homes.

4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Here's one for you. If you're anywhere near Colorado I'll take an extra roo off your hands. Yes I'm hooked. Does chicken math involve the price of boarding a horse who was kicked out of her stall?

5. annchristine

Dec 22, 2010
    Coarsegold -YLP
    I've never heard of a horse being at the bottom of the pecking order. Too funny! California is only a couple of states away. Ha! We are all chicken addicts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by