Chicken maturity?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kbarrett, Jan 30, 2008.

1. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    Hi everybody! I almost have my order picked out for spring [​IMG] and I have learned SO much from reading on this board. Anyway I have been curious as to what age a chicken fully matures. I am picking out laying pullets from Ideal and I understand they will start laying between 20-24 weeks, I still can't get over that! No doubt I'll be impatient when the time comes but in reality that is not a long time! Anyway I was just wondering at what age they will be fully grown.
    Thanks!
    Kara

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some breeds do lay that early. The larger breeds take longer as they are building body mass. Some breeds are not full size (what I consider 'mature') until the age of 18 months to two years old.

The 18 to 24 weeks at point of lay is a generalization. It could take much longer. And it is sooooooo frustrating when they make you wait! LOL

I have some big barred rocks and jersey giants and a few of them didn't lay until 28+ weeks.

I have some small polish but they didn't lay until 30+ weeks.

A female under 1 year old is a pullet. After 1 year she is a hen.

A male under 1 years old is a cockeral. After 1 years he is a rooster.

Have fun with your spring chicks! Tell us what you are getting.

3. kbarrett

kbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    PA
    I have to say I am SO excited about getting chicks as well as a bit anxious about caring properly for them! If feel after all of the studying up I've done I'm ready. I am so happy to have this message board as a resource for any questions that come up! So after much, much, much deliberation I believe my list is complete lol.
    I'm ordering from Ideal, hubby prefers white eggs but I'm sneaking in some Buff Orps because I love what I hear about them. (Maybe he wont notice a few brown eggs [​IMG] LOL)
    3 Buff Orps
    3 Barred Hollands (according to the chart I looked at these should be pretty friendly too)
    2 Black Minorcas
    2 Single Comb Light Brown Leghorns
    2 Ideal 236
    I'm hoping the last 3 choices will be friendlier than their descriptions with lots of handling when young.
    Jeez, looking at my short list you would never guess it took me months to come up with it [​IMG]

P.S. Thanks for the info MissPrissy!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    There is absolutely no difference in the brown and white eggs. It is nothing more than a shell color. Once he starts eating the eggs from your hens he will never want the store eggs again and color won't even be an issue! LOL Have you seen the color of welsummer/cuckoo marans/penedesenca? Like chocolate!

I love buff orpingtons. They are big bodied and good egg layers. One of my most favorite of laying hens.

5. Churkenduse

Churkenduse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    Having chickens has transformed my live. I have become so calm. I do not think there is any drawback here.

You are going to love your chickens experience.

Everywhere I go I am asked "how are your litttle chickies" Even in church it is a hoot.

You have a very nice assortment there I never heard of some I think I will look them up. Good luck.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by