Chicken may be dying!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockthecoop, Jan 17, 2013.

1. rockthecoop

rockthecoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2013
    One day ago (1/16/13), one of our hens named Fudge was limping badly. We are not sure if her leg is broken or not, but she will not get up and Fudge is constanly asleep. We give her water by dipping our fingers in a cup and showing her the droplets, but she is rapidly declining. We have tried to feed Fudge ground-up pellets but she will not eat. We are keeping her in an old dog crate that has a small bin filled with shavings. She has not moved ever scince we put her in the house, exept yesterday when she kept trying to perch beacuse it was evening. Her head is droopy. Does anyone have any experience with this? Sorry that no pictures are available yet.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sorry, it's not usually a good sign when they won't eat or drink. In this case, it kind of sounds like there are internal problems as well. There probably isn't anything more you can do. I lost a chicken in a similar manner after a coyote attack. All I could do was keep her warm, dry and knowing she was cared for.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

x2. Usually when they are so sick that they are showing such visible signs they are often near death. They are just so good at hiding whats wrong with them until the very last.

How old is this bird?

4. rockthecoop

Jan 17, 2013
    Fudge was one year old, and she just died. Thank you for answering!

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    So sorry to hear that Fudge died... thinking of you

Suzie[​IMG]

6. rockthecoop

Jan 17, 2013
    Tanks everyone for your support! I think fudge died of desease, and now Fudge's sister Walnut has a waterey eye with a small whitish lump on her eyelid. I think this is what happened to fudge, and It was providential that she died, as I am now watching my flock closely and noticed this. I might be able to get a picture, if I can catch her again, but I am worried that more of my flock might suffer. Walnut is shaking her head with a loud cluck. She is also scratching the eye. Anyone have a diagnosis?

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Listen to them closely. Do you hear any of them making any kind of oddball breathing sounds, even slight? Wheezing, coughing, wet sneezes, gurgling when they breath? Go out to your coop at night, after they've all gone to roost and listen again. Some respiratory diseases cause worse breathing sounds at night.

You might also check out symptoms of wet fowl pox. This is not anything I have experience with, just a suggestion. Chickens can just be so stinkin' hard to diagnose sometimes.

8. rockthecoop

Jan 17, 2013
    [​IMG] Ta-da! It took one hour to catch this chicken because she is so jumpy and just loves to dodge in and out of trees. Note the whiteness on her eyelid, I could have gotten a better picture if she would stop squirming!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by