Chicken Medicine Cabinet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by begbfg, Sep 19, 2011.

1. begbfg

begbfg Barnyard Beckie

Feb 11, 2011
    Roxboro, NC
    I'm only six months into this "chicken fever" of mine and I was wondering:
    What are the best items to have on hand for a Chicken Medicine Cabinet?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have seen some very lengthy lists on here in answer to this, including various types of antibiotics and dressings, vitamins and other supplements, etc.

I have used the peroxide or Betadine or Neosporin on a chicken that I keep for myself, occasionally. For the chickens I keep BluKote and use a poultry dust or powder as a preventive for lice/mites; it's usually a pyrethrin/permethrin blend. You can use plain Neosporin in an injured eye. You can make your own saline for washing wounds after the initial peroxide or Betadine cleansing. I also use Sevin 5% garden dust for flies and lice/mites but would probably not buy it for this unless there was an infestation, which I've never had; I just happen to have a canister of it. I also keep pelletized lime and Stall-Dri for those times that the deep litter needs some odor/fly/moisture control, more than adding shavings. I would probably not buy anything else ahead, myself.

For wounds there is a product sold for horses named Scat (or something like that) that keeps flies from laying eggs in wounds which can be handy, and another called vet wrap (a similar product is sold for people) that is handy if you just need to keep a dressing on something. Hopefully you will never have to deal with this serious of a wound, though. To stop bleeding, a product that works well is also sold for animals, don't know the name; in an emergency you can use a styptic pencil, flour or corn starch, and plain old pressure.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I've got three wormers, a large bottle of penicillin, syringes, blu-kote...in addition to things already mentioned.

4. heatherkh

heatherkh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Clackamas, Oregon
    I asked a similar question a few weeks ago, and found this existing reference guide:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=6580204#p6580204

I didn't get everything on it, but did get a wormer, sulmet for cocci, blu-kote, vitamins/electrolytes, antibiotic spray, vet wrap, poultry dust, and vetrx poultry remedy. I've used flour to stem bleeding, already have saline and betadine, as well as other household items (honey, ACV, etc.)

5. DazeGoneBy

DazeGoneBy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
  6. branston

branston Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Virginia
    Lafeber's critical care nutrition only available via a vet but this has saved two of my chicks that just stopped eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by