Chicken medicine chest?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenmulberry, Aug 18, 2008.

1. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Does anyone have recommendations for what to keep in a chicken medicine chest?

I am looking for things that would be good to have on hand in case of an ill chicken, or a bad injury. I understand I would probably have to keep meds refridgerated and maybe replace them once a year, but I would like to have things on hand in case I need them.

My farm store is inconvenient to get to, and often not well stocked. I lost a hen to illness last night. Someone had recommended that I start her on Terramycin, but it took me a while to get to the store, and then when I got there, they were out. So I feel really bad and think I should just make an order for whatever a chicken medicine chest should have, and then I won't let one of my girls down again.

So I was going to order some Terramycin, but then I wondered what else would be good to have in the kit. My recent ill hen was my only experience with a sick chicken.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Great idea for this forum.
    I am a newbie. All I have is:
    Neosporin
    BlueCote
    alcohol & peroxide
    aspirin
    What more do I need?

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps