Chicken Medicine

drwatson

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 7, 2014
Ohio
Is there a good resource for medical issues in chickens...a textbook, site, etc, that has common types of infections? I just got new chickens and have already had a few issues.

- First, I got 6 chickens at tractor supply and then 5 chickens locally (a little older) and mixed them, unfortunately without quarantine first. A little late on my part there, but should have read in advance. I have 2 birds sneezing/coughing, one from each set at this point.

- Second; Had a cooper hawk attack one of my chicks through the side of a dog kennel (we put them in the garden to scratch)...the chick is alive so far, but took some surgery on my part. She had a huge gash through skin and wing/breast muscle that I had to sew up. She has been doing okay, but she is one of the ones sneezing/coughing.

So...question is...should I treat with antibiotics or another agent? We did get "medicated" feed at Tractor supply which we just put the chickens on based on advice given to us by the guy we got our chicken from.

Thank you,

Dr. Watson, the Chicken Surgeon

Forgot to mention...just using standard polysporin on the wound of the chicken attacked by the hawk...

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sorry about the problems you've had with the chicks, the hawk survivor is one lucky bird. You might want to post on the Emergencies forum about your chicks to figure out what is going on and what to put them on www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures (Medicated feed usually just has amprolium in it for helping to control coccidia, it is not an antibiotic) The Learning Center has some good articles on figuring out common diseases https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-injuries-diseases-how-to-diagnose-treat-your-chickens

Thank you,

Where in Ohio are you..we are in Ohio as well in Cincinnati. I will post something on emergencies....thanks again.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sorry to hear about your problems. The members that hang out in the Emergencies section will be able to advice you on treatment. Best of luck!

images

Welcome to BYC!

So sorry about your little chick! But you did good suturing him back up. Definitely head over to the emergency section for help with your little chicks.

Enjoy all your poultry adventures and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom