Chicken memory. Unanswered.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GhettoRoo, Feb 2, 2015.

1. GhettoRoo

GhettoRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Hello.
    So.
    1.) People recognition.
    2.) Other bird recognition. (After I seperate my 7 months old rooster for almost week(but because of shock) he fight little bit higher ranked hens again. Once he lost, I seperate him for 1-2 days, and he fight again, win. :D)
    Feeder, waterer placements, free range things.
    Experience and knowledge from somebody?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens have incredible memory and can recognize as many as 100 flock mates.
    The reason they fight after separation is that there's a new pecking order in place - not because they don't recognize. Roosters separated from a flock of roosters for a day will fight because they left.
    They recognize people and other animals. Any that don't attack and bring food will be appreciated. Any that harass, won't.
    Except for the most docile breeds, they will avoid strangers like the plague.
    They are creatures of habit, like Pavlov's dog, look for food at the same place every day. Move food and water constantly and that won't be a problem.
    How can chickens with tiny brains do such things?
    They don't drive cars, don't work computers, don't do brain surgery, don't balance checkbooks, aren't actuaries. They're simple animals with tremendous instincts, memory, ability to learn and adhere to the philosophy of flock dynamics.
    The health of the flock is the most important thing. Newcomers, including those that have left for a day or 2 are enemies.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  3. GhettoRoo

Oct 7, 2014
    Thanks for information.
    They can remember all flock member 'rankings' even if there more than 100.
    But if he just didnt see that one these 1-2 days some of hens in that big flock?
    They are enemies cuz he forget or just because they left for a time?

But what about me?
    With long time memory?
    I am enemie after 2 days too? Cause I am member too.. Im giving food, so its different? But good rooster is giving them treats too, if found. Rooster is enemy after 2 days too?

4. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    No, you're not a flock member. You're a provider and potential predator.
    They may remember the flock member rankings, but once they're not in the flock, even for a night, they're enemies.
    A flock member that has been separated, can potentially be bringing in disease. Among other things, perhaps showing an opponent flock where this flock is.

Someone was going to buy a trio of my birds a few weeks ago. It was getting into the single digits and I didn't want the cock to get frostbitten so I separated and heated the building. The buyer reneged. Moving the trio back into the flock, that cock had to fight all the cocks in the flock for a whole day. He had been the top dog. Trying to re-establish himself caused big problems. I have 4 roosters with shredded wattles now, though they had all coexisted for months before.

5. GhettoRoo

Oct 7, 2014
    Nice, new info. Bird aint gonna let stranger bird in they teritory? My roosters are flirting with neighbours hens, even run to mate, till collapse with a owner, -roo. But hens when see stranger in teritory hen are up to fight mostly.

6. ChickenCanoe

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Flock dynamics are interesting. Chickens being different from other birds and quite different from mammals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by