alyssahockings

In the Brooder
May 23, 2022
I have 3 hens, and one of them has feather loss on her chest/neck and belly. It doesn’t always look red, but sometimes it looks REAAAAALLY red. For example when i took the attatched photos, ten minutes earlier it wasn’t red at all, and then it looked like that. Ive wormed them and given them lice sprays. She’s acting perfectly fine, eating and running around. The other chickens are fine too, no feather loss or anything. Also her vent feathers are dirty with poop. It’s progressively getting worse over the last 5 months, even though i’ve been giving them treatments and everything. I was thinking maybe stress? I give them everything i can to avoid stress, they have a large coop/enclosure, nesting boxes, perches, and they free range all day in my decently sized suburban backyard with my two ducks, always have food and multiple fresh waters, etc. I’m really worried I’m doing something wrong, and she’s sick/stressed. Any help is appreciated. (didnt get any photos of her belly)

Attachments

• 5A877736-D69A-42EE-8DAA-06C2708B3D8C.png
    5A877736-D69A-42EE-8DAA-06C2708B3D8C.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 15
  • D0E74394-0784-4E17-8C24-8A099C814814.png
    D0E74394-0784-4E17-8C24-8A099C814814.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 5D1E179F-2628-407B-BEC8-4E2174B19A15.png
    5D1E179F-2628-407B-BEC8-4E2174B19A15.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 52F99FDB-93BA-4921-AC2A-1BE03893F865.png
    52F99FDB-93BA-4921-AC2A-1BE03893F865.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
More than One possibility here.
She may just be going thru molt :idunno
She may have mites, that are causing the feather loss. Mites are not same as lice, but in same nasty predator category:mad:
You may consider dusting with poultry dust. such as this or equivalent. I just happen to have this snip handy from giving advice a few days ago.

pro zap.JPG

You can also use Garden sulfur dust, on your chickens. It is safe for your chickens and you. Only drawback with this product,,, The odor of rotten eggs will be present from the sulfur.
Just happen to have that snip handy also.
sulfur.JPG

No location in your profile,, so not sure if these items are available in your area/country.:idunno You should be able to locate equivalents though.

As to her south end getting soiled with poop,, I suggest water bath with a nice towel wipe,, and possibly hairdryer blow dry.
I have read other peeps treating area with creams and oils, and Vaseline. Cant really suggest these, since I have not tried myself. That would keep the poops from sticking though. Try the water baths first. :frow

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and:welcome

To me from where it is located that looks like feather picking. I had a hen do that to a rooster, sort of like she was grooming him. I did not get the feeling she was picking the feathers to eat. Not sure what was going on. Not sure what is going on with yours either. It could be feather pecking to eat the feathers.

It never got as bad as your photo shows. I solved it by locking the rooster up for a day or so and she quit pecking at him. Yours looks like it has been going in longer so I'm not sure that would work.

Mites and lice tend to be around the vent area in numbers because of the moisture. But that does not mean that can't be mites or lice, just because they tend to do something doesn't mean they always do. Definitely something worth checking.

If it is feather pecking I'd get some Blu-Kote if it is available wherever you are, not sure what country you are in. You might be able to find something similar. It's an antibiotic so it treats wounds but the color also hides the wound and it supposedly tasted bad so they are less likely to pick at it.

Back
Top Bottom