Chicken missing tail feathers? MITES? MOLTING?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hoosiersphynx, Apr 9, 2009.

1. hoosiersphynx

hoosiersphynx Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I just got 2 Red Stars yesterday. One of the girls is missing alot of tail feathers. They are bout 20 weeks old. I am new to this and really dont know what to think about it. I took some pictures of it. Please let me know what is going on with her.
    Thank You all very much!
    Rebecca

[​IMG]

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    It's hard to see in that pic, maybe they are broken off? If it's lice you'll see them crawling around and you'll see hard egg cases on the base of the tail feathers. I don't really see that. Can you get a closer pic and seperate the feather there?

3. PQ

PQ Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Platina, Ca.
    Sometimes when to many chickens are in a pen together they can peck each others tail feathers out, where there a lot of chickens where this one came from? And yes, when you lift the feathers you can see the lice/ mites moving around, might be best if they are new to your home to demite/ deworm them, even if you dont see sign now.

4. hoosiersphynx

Apr 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I did not see any mites of her. They were is a pen that had alot of chickens it it. It was not very nice as in very little straw. You sank when you walked in. They had no water when I got there.
    Rebecca

5. chicken parm

chicken parm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2008
    delaware
    my red sexlinks are having the same problem. don't see any mites or lice, dusted them with DE just in case. raw bare vent and ale feathers look scraggly. I think they were bored over the winter and started picking. hopefully warm weather helps.

6. hoosiersphynx

Apr 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Ok what should I do? She is now bleeding and the other hen will not stop plucking at her? I am going to have to take her out? Also she keeps laying down and rolling to one side and then the other? She will keep doing that till the other girl comes over and gets her. Is she ok?
    Thanks
    Rebecca

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by