1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

CHICKEN...MISSING!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by imzadi, Dec 19, 2012.

1. imzadi

imzadi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    I always count my chickens before shutting the door...I have 11. Today, after dark (about 5pm) only 10!!!!! No sign of the other one. I saw her earlier in the day...about 3 hours prior to this...she was fine.

Is there a possibility that she will come back in the am? Or...should I just prepare that she is gone...probably someone's dinner :( She was one of my two newest chickens and had only started laying periodically...

So sad :(

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Within twenty four hours of her disapirence there is a good chance she will come back, but after that there is not much hope!!
    Good Luck, hope you find her!

3. McGobs

McGobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2012
    We had one that disappeared too. Not a trace..no signs of struggle, no feathers...nothing. Just gone. For 2 weeks we waited and looked..and nothing.

Then one day I was doing my monthly coop cleaning(pulling out nestboxes, giving them a good cleaning, replace floor shavings..the usual), and I found our missing hen behind the nestboxes. She had wedged herself into a place I didn't think was possible for her to fit and starved to death. The only reason I say this is because I went out and spent a lot of money predator proofing the coop and run thinking something got my hen and was eventually coming back for the others. Got any small spaces she might have wormed into?

4. Stewzoo

Stewzoo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2012
    I have had a few "stay out too late" and miss the shut down. I think they hunker down in trees or tall grass. They came back in the morning and were pacing around the coop looking for their friends. I hope she comes back for you!

5. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    Did you find her then??

6. imzadi

imzadi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    SHE WAS BACK THIS MORNING!!! YEA! But, i'm thinking that she might have an outdoors nest? I have 7 layers...all of who should be old enough to be laying me some eggs. However...I'm only getting two eggs every other day; from the same two chickies.

I think it's time to confine to the run for a few weeks...gotta start getting some eggs...

7. RileyB

RileyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2012
    NH
    Mine sometimes try to hide and brood in small spaces and under things outside. We've found them under the boat, under the barn, etc. If she does it again try checking all things she could have crawled into nearby.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by