Chicken mites

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by marie1975, Mar 14, 2016.

1. marie1975

marie1975 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    I I'm a novice to this so would anyone help me what do they put on there chickens for mites and other horrid things I got a rescue one that's no feathers on its front help what do.? Also Wormers them what do u worm your with I got fe something vet 1% and give two pinches in food but one bird greedy? What do you do?

2. emhalloran

emhalloran Out Of The Brooder

Hi marie1975

To treat mites and poultry lice etc. you should be able to buy powder treatment from your local pet store, grain store or vet.
    you should treat each bird individually once a week with the powder (make sure you put it under the birds wings, around the neck, and around the vent area, the areas where mites etc. like to hang out)
    Also make sure you give the roosts and housing of your birds a good clean and sprinkle the powder treatment on roosting areas also as some mites like to hide in chicken coops (this is important as your birds will become reinfected if you do not do this)
    Do this once a week for about a month
    I do this when my chickens become infected and it seems to work :)
    As for the no feathers on the chickens front, it may have lice and when treated the feathers should grow back
    It may also be missing feathers due to stress or pecking by other chickens if you say it is a rescue bird, the feathers will grow back with time so I wouldn't worry too much :)

For de-worming your chickens use the one the vet has given you. I haven't heard of giving worming treatment in feed, most require you to add it to the chicken's drinking water
    You could ask your vet if you are unsure also :)

I hope this is of some help

3. marie1975

Feb 26, 2016
    Hi can anyone help me I have two ducks also and I don't think they should eat chicken feed but can they eat game bird feed any one else know what to give them I know lettuce etc and things but wandered if I could give game bird as I have peacocks that's eat the game food aor do I have to get duck and geese food or like I say is game feed and geese and duck same???

4. marie1975

Feb 26, 2016
    Tried to look at ingredients in both but can't find it on net it don't seem to want to tell me I have hay gates game food

5. RDFarms

RDFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    I put luke warm water, flea and tick shampoo, and Dish detergent in a spray bottle and spray it on the mites. Good Luck and have a great day!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by