1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicken molting and laying at the same time?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by relizabethcole, Sep 16, 2016.

1. relizabethcole

relizabethcole Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    One of my chickens, a year and half old red sex link, looks like she's molting but she's still laying eggs. She seems healthy and happy. Her neck is kind of bare and she over all looks scraggly, with white "underfeathers" poking out. Just like a molt. She's never molted before. This chicken is our top layer and has barely taken a day off since she started laying. She laid through the very cold winter last year, the only one who did. I'd say she's laying less, but since we only have two who lay brown eggs I'm sure she's still laying.

We found lice eggs on one of our other chickens and recently dusted all five, but there were no signs of lice on her. We thought it was from the lice, but no eggs or bugs and she acts normally. So we thought, yes, she is just molting, but then she's still laying, which I thought couldn't happen.

Could she be laying and molting? Or should I assume that something else is wrong with her?

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I think it is possible to have both things going on at the same time but the deeper she gets into the molt I think you can expect fewer eggs. Sounds like a great chicken you have there!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  3. relizabethcole

relizabethcole Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2014
    ok, thanks! I had always heard that they stop laying when they molt. She is a great chicken!

4. She is quiet a fine chicken!ALL.yes everyone of my chickens lay even when they are molting and trough winter.i don't even put a white light on them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by