Chicken mom...now a duck mom needing help please!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by LucyGoose13, May 19, 2016.

1. LucyGoose13

LucyGoose13 New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Hi,

I have been reading several of your forum's already and have decided to join your group! I have been raising backyard chickens for a couple of years now and decided to add some ducks this year. We have 6 Pekin ducklings who we will have had for 6 weeks this Sunday. Last Friday, so almost a week ago one of the ducklings started to develop a leg problem. She stopped wanting to walk and move around much. I moved her to her own area so I could monitor her better. She could still walk some at the time but usually had her wings out to help her balance. From researching that I did it seemed to be a niacin deficiency. I believe the food they were eating was not good enough for them perhaps. I went to the local feed store first thing in the morning and they didn't have much to offer. I did get a different food made for all poultry chicks, they do not have food specially for ducks and vitamin and electrolyte mixer for water. Then on I went to try to find Niacin. I had no luck at the time finding any Niacin that was not flush free or time released. I did pick up brewers yeast and began adding that to her food. She does eat and drink but I have been hand feeding her.

Last night her leg problem seemed to worsen. One leg seems to be better but one much worse. She doesn't want to really use one leg anymore, even when I have her swimming in the bathtub and her foot and leg area is now pretty swollen. I did run out again last night in search for regular Niacin anywhere and did find some. I started her on that last night. They are 100mg pills. How much of this pill should she be getting daily? Is there anything else that could be going on with her that I need to try? We have all really began to love this little gal, my dog Lucy included! I just hope we can still do something to help her, I appreciate anyone and everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

Thank You!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear about your poorly ducklings leg. I'm afraid I'm not a duck person but please do pop by the duck section where I'm sure the keepers there will be able to help you. Here is the link ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Good luck I hope she is well agian soon :fl

3. LucyGoose13

LucyGoose13 New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Thank you so much for sending me in the right direction! We are really hoping this little girl can make a turn around.

Thank you again!! :)

4. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG] Good luck

5. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. Similarly, I'm not a duck person, but you have been given great advice from Y/Coop as to where to get help.

Good luck
    CT

6. LucyGoose13

LucyGoose13 New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Thank you!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. LucyGoose13

LucyGoose13 New Egg

May 19, 2016
    Thank you!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

You can get baby vitamins (Poly-Vi-Sol / Iron Free) at just about any store that carries baby supplies, and it that contains a high levels of Niacin... Search the forum lots of info on using it...

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Have you posted on the "Duck thread," they would probably know the most about niacin deficiency. If you would find & pm Miss Lydia (user name) she is probably the best person for duck ailments.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by