Chicken Mom Wanna Be From Central WI

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Jelinek11, Jan 27, 2013.

1. Jelinek11

Jelinek11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Central WI
    Hi everyone! We are looking to start our own backyard flock! I am sooo excited!! I have been researching the best breeds and looking at coops. If anyone has any suggestions for me, I really would appreciate them! I look forward to learning lots from all of you!!!

2. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Welcome Jeline-where are you located? Also-check out the Wisconsin Cheesehead forum (Link in my signature) there are many there that can help you find the breeds you want locally rather than through a hatchery. What breeds are you considering so far?

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jelinek11, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! BYC is a great research place for coops and breeds! Best of luck and have fun!!

4. Tough Old Bird

Tough Old Bird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2013
    Welcome from another cold climate (Central NY state) Jeline! [​IMG]

I'm also starting up my own (1st) little flock of 6 pullets in the spring.

After much research and thinking about what was most important to me, I chose Delawares, Sussex and a (Plymouth) Barred Rock-Dominique cross. I wanted cold hardy, friendly breeds that were good layers. Not sure about your wants or needs, but mine will be more pets than anything.

People here have been tremendously helpful. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Good luck and welcome to the coop!

TOB

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Search the forums, and you will be ready in the spring. Welcome to BYC.

8. Jelinek11

Jelinek11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Central WI
    Thanks so much for the nice warm welcomes :)

Angiebubs- I live smack dab in the middle of WI. I will check out the "cheesehead" forum. I would love to find people that have the breeds close to me to ask questions and so forth. The breeds I am interested in so far are a wide range :) I am looking at good egg layers and also docile breeds since I have 2 young children.

Redsox, thanks so much for the welcome, but I have something to say.....GO BREWERS :)

Tough Old Bird - My Chickens will also be pets. Where are you getting your chicks from? Did you order online?

Liz9910 - I would love to be in nice warm California!!! We are getting snow here!

Kevin565 - Thanks!

Sourland - I am hoping to get everything worked out by spring. My husband is not looking forward to the building he is going to have to do...hahaha

9. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Jeline: I bet that most of the breeds you are wanting, someone on the WI CHeesehead forum will have for sale come spring. We have a "Chicken bash" early summer-bunch of us crazy chicken people get together camping and swapping chicks.

My chickens are also pets with the side benefit of having fresh eggs. So far, the freindliest of the bunch have been my Easter Eggers and love the fun color eggs. However, I have had that EE'rs are either extremely freindly or others have reported them being flighty-weird.

My bantams are also so sweet and friendly. (cochin and mixes)

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by