Cluckcluck57

Hatching
Mar 18, 2021
I’m not a newbie but I’m always looking to get new advice or help. I live in the very northern part of New Hampshire. I had 13 chickens and 2 ducks a month ago. We have never really had ant issues with predators (thank God), until...a bobcat got into our chicken run. It killed 10 of our chickens and both ducks. I was devastated. Thankfully, I scared the heck out of it before it killed them all. It hasn’t been back and we have been keeping our girls in the inside run. Two of the remaining chickens are back to normal but the third one is in my basement as I am trying to nurse it back from what appears to be a broken or displaced hip. The whole episode has been traumatic for me....and the remaining birds, I’m sure.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
So sorry you and your birds went through such an ordeal. I hope the third girl fully recovers.
I keep my flock behind poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger. It does the trick for the neighbors GSDs and any other roving daytime canines as well as keeping the local black bear away. You might want to try that.

Welcome :welcome
So sorry. The trauma and shock takes time to go away for all of you. Many of us know the loss a predator can create. For me it was a fox and half of my Pekin ducks several years ago. I now keep Kangal and Anatolian Shepherds.

I’m not sure how long to keep my injured girl in my basement. She was near death when I brought her in. She wouldn’t eat. Her craw was empty and her bones were visible. I moistened her food and mixed in some vitamins and minerals. I then had to force feed her and hope the the food and liquid in the food would help. It did. She started eating and drinking. She slowly began to try and stand. It’s been almost a month, and she still can’t put weight on her right leg. I can’t detect anything broken and it wouldn’t be fair to keep her so isolated for ever. Putting her back in the coop would be a certain painful death from her sisters. I may try putting her in a cage near them. I’m just not sure she will ever walk correctly again. Keeping her like this seems cruel. Not sure what to do. No avian vets anywhere. I live in the mountains.

I’m not sure how long to keep my injured girl in my basement. She was near death when I brought her in. She wouldn’t eat. Her craw was empty and her bones were visible. I moistened her food and mixed in some vitamins and minerals. I then had to force feed her and hope the the food and liquid in the food would help. It did. She started eating and drinking. She slowly began to try and stand. It’s been almost a month, and she still can’t put weight on her right leg. I can’t detect anything broken and it wouldn’t be fair to keep her so isolated for ever. Putting her back in the coop would be a certain painful death from her sisters. I may try putting her in a cage near them. I’m just not sure she will ever walk correctly again. Keeping her like this seems cruel. Not sure what to do. No avian vets anywhere. I live in the mountains.
Try keeping her in a large crate with food and water in the coop or run with the rest of the flock. If she still can't walk, she can't be out with them. Give her more time to heal around the other birds while she's safe in the crate.
If she shows no improvement over time, you can make the decision to end her suffering.

Welcome, @Cluckcluck57. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here on BYC, so if you have questions about what you might be able to do for your girl, post them and someone may be able to help.

I'm so sorry for what happened to your flock.

Back
Top Bottom