Chicken Moving Day

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by khoracek, Dec 8, 2011.

1. khoracek

khoracek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Today, we finally were able to get our coup finished and moved into the new coup. They had been in the run attached to the coup. We can't see to get them to into the coup at night. We have a light in there that turns on and off.

What is the best way to teach them to do into their coup at night when it gets dark outside? We would want to "lock" them in there at night and let them out during the day.

I read somewhere to lock them in their coup for a few days?

I'll get pictures put up too. My husband did a fanstasic job with this and did it all on his own by looking at various pictures.

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Congratulations on your new coop. [​IMG] We definitely need pictures!
    I kept mine locked up for the first day before letting them out. I do have a light in the coop so they just head in when it begins to get dark. I once had 2 chickens who did not come in the first night. When I went to lock up, I noticed they were missing and found them hunkered down next to a straw bale. Since it was dark, they were easy to catch and I carried them to the chicken door and pushed them in. They haven't had a problem since.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  3. chick-in-florida

chick-in-florida Chillin' With My Peeps

mine NEVER go in the coop at night. they sleep out in the run on a roost. they only go in the coop to lay some of their eggs.

4. khoracek

khoracek Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Thanks. We have a light in there that will turn on for a few hours after it get's dark here and then it will shut off. I'm hoping they will want to go in there once the realize it's a really night place. Heck, I would live in there (lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by