chicken murderer on the loose

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mahen8622, Jan 20, 2009.

1. mahen8622

mahen8622 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    its official my flocks days are numbered me and my chickens are staying with my mother (ewww) and i built them a huge coop and let them free range all 18 have been happy for ~9 months and then Eda my beautiful black hen saw a bucket and thought it was a snack for her she followed my sister right into the circle that the dog was chained in and it was to late Eda was mauled but lived ... for three days i tried to feed her and comfort her and treat her wounds but hte angels called her anyway.
    after recovering THIS tramatic happening i was driving home when i got a call that my mother let her male (evil) blue heeler loose and my chickens were coop bound no free ranging today so my hubby went to feed them. being little piggies they bum rushed the door and thats when hell broke loose. My hubby checked for the dog and couldnt find hims so he went to feed them and the second they were ou thte coop door there was the dog outta no where an chased me poor RIR into a small hut inclosure i use for them in the summer and he killed her right there my hubby tried to save her but the dog turned on him. I know i cant get the taste of blood outta this dogs mouth and mind but asside from killing this (excuse my french ) jerk dog what do i do I AM SOOOO ANGRY ARGHHHH

2. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    the dog TURNED ON HIM??????? did i read that right????
    wow.... big blue needle for him.. unless you are willing to put the time, energy and money it takes to re-train that dog... it OK most people would not.. do not give that dog to anybody else, do the reponsible thing and put it to sleep..
    sorry to be so harsh.. there are to many GOOD dogs getting put to sleep in pounds, to let the bad ones live...

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    If the dog did turn on him, I'd have it put down. That's so not cool!

4. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    I agree this dog is completely wack a doodle hes nutso jykl and hyde nuts hes sweet one minute and then a crazed blood thirsty beast the next. my hubby thankfully wasnt bitten ( this dog tried to attack my pekipoo bruiser earlier today before my chicken massacre BIGG NO NO) this blood thirsty mongral is not my dog hed been long gone a long time ago so what can i do ask my mother to pay for my hen or what? i feel like she should be responsible for what happened its her animal. ( her response so far is well why didnt he tye the dog ) NO RESPECT OFR thE CHICKENS NO RESPONSIBLITY IM TICKED OFF

5. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    I had a dog like that once. He turned on me when I had a shovel handy. The shovel did double duty. He never bit anyone again..........

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Turn on your husband or became protective of his fresh kill? There's a big difference in whether or not the dog is genuinely dangerous to humans. Chickens, definitely.

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:yep does not matter that it was attacking the chicken it should never have turned of its owner, I would put it down.

8. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    this is what happens when you take a smart active HEARDING breed ... dont train it.. then put it on a chain.. it goes NUTS and turns on people..
    doesnt MATTER WHY it turned on him... this is a smart tenatious herding dog,, put on a chain, bored out of its skull.. it got to do something FUN, kill a chicken!! thats FUN!!.
    did the dog get a lesson from this??? probably not.. he will do it again and again..

.. this is WHY i always say,,get the right breed for the JOB!!!!

9. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Quote:If the dog turned on him yes the dog should be put down. But since it isnt your dog. and it sounds like your mom is doing you a favor by letting you keep your chickens on her property.. well you are more than likely stuck.
    Since the dog and the chickens are on the same piece of property it is going to HAVE to be YOUR responsibility to make sure the dog is either in the house or on the chain before you open the coop/run door. If it means taking an extra 5 10 15 minutes. That is the way it is.

My Border Collie, who is turning 8 the end of the month, herds my 3 cats. But leaves the rabbits and the chickens alone. He simply knows better. All it takes is a look or saying his name. He has "some" obedience training..most of it LONG forgotten sicne he injured himself during an agility course. But the basics are still in his smart little head

10. mahen8622

Jan 19, 2009
    KY
    wow i feel completely ATTACKED on here. FIRST OFF this is NOT by any means MY dog he is my mothers this is NOT the first time he has attacked a small animal he eats cats all the time when she lets him loose. I am appauled by his behavior! he has bitten other people thankfully not my hubby. I AGREE that some dogs do get board and go run cattle but htis is NOT the case with this dog. he kills to kill no hearding about it i was raised with hearding animals and this is not the case he gets exercise. he picks off anything or fights anything smaller than him he is a bully and MEEEEAN .
    DO NOT EVER attack me or blame me for hte death of my chicken my chickens live better than most people!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by