chicken music

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by delfargo, Jun 1, 2010.

1. delfargo

delfargo Chillin' With My Peeps

this may be a stupid question, but i'm curious. do any of you leave a radio on in the coop? my uncle had some chickens long ago when i was a kid and i remember he always had a radio on, 24/7, in the barn where the chickens were housed. can't remember if he ever gave a reason for the radio being on, i just figured people like music, so maybe chickens do too? maybe he had it on to keep the chickens "company" when he wasn't around, i don't know. any thoughts on a little egg laying music?

2. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    I was so deperate when my one hen would cackle loudly at 6:00 am that I tried playing her some music - to no avail, she keep on going.

Some people play the radio to their chicks to get them used to the sounds of humans being around them. I am not whether chickens like music, I'd be interested to hear what others say. Although it appears many people are to busy at this time to answer many posts.

3. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    I keep the radio tuned to a country station in my barn where my sheep are kept. I know a lot of farmers that do that. Besides keeping them calm, the real reason is that I want to discourage coyotes from coming around at night. The barn is kind of far away from the house and the voices and music make is sound like there are humans around.

4. mxer

mxer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    W. Cen. Ohio
    I leave the radio on all night in the coop. I believe it helps with keeping away the critters at night.

5. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    I tried a radio at night to keep a coon away. Didn't work. [​IMG]

6. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I recently read that studies have shown that chickens enjoy classical music. Really truly.

My husband, however, swears that our chicks are fans of Hank Williams Jr. [​IMG]

7. joletabey

joletabey SDWD!!!!

Apr 9, 2009
    western NC
    My chickens like piano music.

8. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I leave the radio on in my barn because it is a pain to try and find the country station so i just leave it on lol However it did help get my 6 year old paint to calm down a little I think

9. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    ive read cows will milk better with classical music and plants grow better with soft music so maybe chickens are more calm with some soft music in the coop [​IMG]

10. BigSkyChickens

BigSkyChickens Free Bird

Apr 3, 2009
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    I sing as I go out to lock the coop at night, so my ladies know it's me and not some predator.

This may sound odd, but both this year's chicks and last year's chicks really liked the album "Rabbit Fur Coat" by Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by