Chicken mutts please help

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mattsiewrt94, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I wanted to know I have had one of my chickens go broody so far i got them when they were just about to lay but she didn't do to good it was the Rhode Island Red one but one chick hatched and died but the man i got these chickens from he said almost all his chickens end up going broody and hatching chicks he had all pure breeds they were all kept in coops by breed but anyway this spring I was gonna let them all hatch them and let them raise them till they got a little bigger I mean I would want to keep some of them but my chickens free range all day they sleep in a big barn which I need to change where they sleep because it's my land lord there coop was right beside it but if guess they prefer the beams at the top of that barn. I have plenty of space to keep hundreds of chickens there's plenty of places around my house to sleep and find shelter. but I wanted to know if my chickens hatched baby's would they all look different in some way i have 2 golden comet purebred hen a Rhode Island Red purebred hen and rooster. A barred rock rooster and I have a black sex link idk it's black and has brown neck and two mystery breeds with feathered feet one of them has a small crest to. Then I have a real small white bantam chicken I think a leghorn and I love the ones I got I like being able to tell the difference in them and I don't wAnt them to hatch babies and idk who's who

2. bluebirdnanny

bluebirdnanny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Unless you have a way to keep the rooster/hen of same breed separate (roo of one breed able to access hens of a different one) you will have mutts. If you want to be sure of breed purity you have to keep roos away from any hens NOT its breed. You could keep the hens together if you keep the roosters separate and only add his hens to him for breeding.

Then it is possible to give broody hens any of those to sit on and hatch. But if you care about breed clarity you must monitor and limit who the rooster has access to.

Hope that helps.

3. Mattsiewrt94

Mattsiewrt94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2013
    No lol I don't care if I have mutts I just wanted to know would there be any chicken that looks the same I just wanna be able to tell the difference I don't have them name yet anyway never could think of any but I just wanna know who's who

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by