Chicken Muzzle?

bobdlee

Hatching
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
Ok, my little girls are about to drive me CRAZY! This is my first crack at Rhode Island reds, and they are much louder than the Red Stars I'm accustomed to.

As you can imagine, they make dozens of different noises, but there are two noises in particular that might make neighbors start complaining. The first is a barking sort of a cluck. When they do it, they'll do it every 5 seconds or so (it's very rhythmic) for about 10 minutes, or until I swing open the back door to distract them.

The second noise is a more irregular kind of WAAAAAAAAAAAAAH noise that almost sounds like a goat. They seem to do it more whenever I'm in the back yard, but they've gotten to the point where I can hear them doing it from inside the house.

I'd like to get your opinions about why they are making those noises, and what I can do to stop it before I get in trouble with the law.

The only thing I can think to do is put socks in their mouths, but then they wouldn't be able to eat..
tongue.png

But seriously, I may have to give them away and get more red stars or something, which would be sad since I raised them from one day old.
sad.png

That brings me to another question for this thread: what breeds of egg-laying chickens are the quietest?

Thanks!

I don't know what to tell you other than the fact that my EEs are very quiet as well as my White Rock and Partridge Rocks..

My Barred Rocks are VERY NOISY... followed by my RIRs... my Black Star and Red Star make a little noise, but not like the BR or RIRs.

Quote:
EE = Easter Egger......lays various colored eggs...green, blue etc.

Stay away from welsummers if you don't want noise...they are horrific.

My sussex is the loudest of my three girls (then the cochin, and my americauna (possibly EE depending how technical you get)). She's figured out if she complains really loud in the coop, I hustle out there and let her out.

No one has complained yet, but I'm waiting for the day. I'll tell them she's no louder than their yappy dog. HA!

LOL,
celebrate.gif

I got 6 RIR and all of them do the same noises like yours.
all what I can say neighbors has to get used to it.(Sorry)

OMran

We have RIR and BR and I have noticed they talk alot but we are out in the middle of nowhere so I don't worry about the girls or the roo. I like the sounds they make but I understand how if it is not your chickens they would be a little nerve racking.

One of my wyandottes is a talker/singer.
Some breeds may be noisier than others, but I kind of think it has to do with their personalities and how they've trained us.
Possible yours may have learned to sing until you show up?
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom