chicken nail care?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by michellepagan, Jul 29, 2013.

1. michellepagan

michellepagan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    McGregor, MN
    Some of the hens that we just got have some wicked long nails (we're talking an INCH long). Do these need to clipped? And what on earth would cause them to get this long. I thought scratching would keep this under co trol naturally. If I need to clip them do I need to worry about her having a"quick" like dogs do? And can I use my dogs nail clippers on her.

2. michellepagan

michellepagan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    McGregor, MN
    After looking some more I found my answer!! I couldn't figure out how to delete the. Thread though. Thanks guys for already answering these questions for someone else!

3. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I'm glad you found what you needed. It could be that your chickens didn't forage at their last home and that allowed their nails to get longer.

We use our dog nail clippers on the chickens, if they need a trim. They do have a quick. Usually ours are fine without trims. They do have longer nails in the early spring, since we get a lot of snow in the winter. They aren't doing much foraging in the worst of winter. Lots of vigorous scratching in the spring will usually wear them down again, though. I have to keep an eye on the Faverolles, with their extra toes that don't touch the ground. Sometimes they need a little trimming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by