chicken names?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by the Pollo Loco, Jan 16, 2010.

1. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    do you name your chickens before they hatch or after? [​IMG]

2. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    After. I like watching them for a bit before I name them.

I mean, what if I name a chick Hail when it acts more like an Illyana?

3. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I try not to name pets I may have to end up killing if it gets sick. I'm not willing to put a chicken out with a vets help at $200.

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My kids 'named' an egg before it went into the incubator and wrote it on the shell. They named it J.D. (initials of their first names) and they're hoping for a Blue Wheaten Roo. Jury is still out on the chick, but I had to put green food coloring on it's back so we knew which one was "J.D."

5. hrdwrkgrl

hrdwrkgrl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Quote:(giggling) Green food coloring... brilliant (standing up clapping hands). I love it.

A little boy that lives down the road likes to stop by and check out my chickens.... He named my roo Beef Jerky and my biggest hen, Dumplin'. Silly boy.. trix are for chicks! xoxox

6. maf2008

maf2008 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2009
    "nosey" because the DC (dark cornish pullet) is the first one to greet me at the gate and pecks at my shoes, she follows me anywhere
    Gasp! the amarcanas (EE) are the pretties of all. Have not named them yet.

"wally" a gorgious EE roo his real name is "poor wally" he used to be the runt and picked on, but now bigger than all the other roos

"goofy" a wheaten EE (RIP) because she ran in and out of my feet when walking. I think she "her cheese sliped off of her cracker" or she was just plain dumb but I loved her!

7. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Quote:(giggling) Green food coloring... brilliant (standing up clapping hands). I love it.

A little boy that lives down the road likes to stop by and check out my chickens.... He named my roo Beef Jerky and my biggest hen, Dumplin'. Silly boy.. trix are for chicks! xoxox

that's funny cause my boys also had me write the names on the eggs before also, we have names of ppeople, celebrities, neighbors you name it!!![​IMG]

8. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Mine don't get names unless the EARN them.

Which I guess equates to "after", since it's hard for an egg to earn a name.

I'm of the category that says you don't name what might end up on your plate. Conversely, if they earn names, they don't go on the plate. I have one who has earned a name (calling the rooster "Rooster" doesn't count). She gets to live until something else gets her or she dies of old age.

9. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I'm not naming mine before they hatch, but I'm thinking about what i will name different ones, depending on what they look like, how they act, etc.

Current Possible names:
    BAs- Cinderpaw, Black Bart, Wednesday, Mr. Poe
    EEs- Beaker, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew
    BRs- Kiddycus Quadaggamagen, supper

10. hrdwrkgrl

hrdwrkgrl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    Quote:How do they have to act to get the name Kiddycus Quadaggamagen? (giggling) xoxox

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by