Chicken Nanny?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PurpleEast, Oct 1, 2013.

1. PurpleEast

PurpleEast Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2012
    Fennville, Michigan
    (Didn't know if I should put this here or the Broody thread, but it's pretty weird chicken behavior altogether):

So I've had a Partridge Rock that hatched out two barnyard mixes. She's been a great mom and is still raising them going into their 6th week. They've been integrated smoothly into the flock. Life is fine and dandy.

[​IMG]

Just a few days ago, though, I've had a SC Brown Leghorn (of all things), start to try to take up Mom duties with the chicks. She flocks really close, calls to them, gives them delicious tidbits. The Partridge Rock Mom used to be very protective, but she just lets the Leghorn tag along and help out at this point. I just can't get over it, I find it hilarious, cute and odd; but why now? What would drive a supposed broody-less hen to trying to adopt the chicks? The Leghorn is a hen that used to only tolerate me in the coop because she was so flighty, but she's recently gotten pretty friendly. Anyone have any hens like this?

Here's some pictures from today; forgive me, my Leghorn is really ragged looking from molting.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    That is so cool! I have never had that experience, but I think its great![​IMG]

3. memphis

memphis Overrun With Chickens

Aug 6, 2012
    Aww. Love the pictures! Don't know if this is unusual or not. But its sweet.

4. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    Just when you think you have them figured out, something like this comes along. Great pics, love the hens!

5. pegm

pegm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Northern California
    This is not about chickens, but geese. We live by a big lake, and until recently we lived on the lake. Canada geese stop by in the spring and raise their young. We had a resident domestic white goose that each year would adopt a Canada family and nanny the babies. It (he or she, don't know) was always with the family and swam like an outrider, on the other side of the goslings from the parents. What is amazing is that Canada's will not tolerate other Canadas approaching their family, but apparently the domestic goose was just fine. Always heart warming to see. We called it Mother Goose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by