Chicken nests???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaybeeson18, Nov 19, 2014.

1. jaybeeson18

jaybeeson18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Worcestershire
    i have a bantom (pekin) black. I've got her on layers pellets. Also gave some artificial lighting as well. 2 weeks later and still no eggs yet. She's 5 months old. Do I need to make a nest in the near box for her or do they just drop there eggs anywhere? Or do they build there own nests?

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I think the significant thing here is the fact that she is just now 5 months old, and quite possibly isn't at the 'point of lay' yet. Does she do the "submissive squat" for you? How do you have your nesting box(es) set up now? Pics of your coop interior would help.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, if you don't provide them with nests, they will find another place to lay when they're ready.

5 months may be too young to lay yet, but maybe soon.

How long has your lighting been up, it takes times to have an effect.

My notes on supplemental lighting
    Sometimes first year layers will lay all winter without supplemental lighting, sometimes they won't.
    Older layers need 14-16 hours of light to lay regularly thru winter. Last winter I used a 40 watt incandescent light(this year I am using a CFL) that comes on early in the morning to provide 14-15 hours of light and they go to roost with the natural sundown. Last year I started the lighting increase a bit late(mid October), the light should be increased slowly, and the pullets didn't start laying until late December. Here's pretty good article on supplemental lighting. Some folks think that using lighting shortens the years a hen will lay, I don't agree with that theory but I also plan to cull my older hens for soup at about 3 years old.

4. jaybeeson18

jaybeeson18 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Worcestershire
    Submissive squat? And there led White Christmas lights. I have it on for 14-16 hours. The lady I bought them off said she was ready. I have 1 cock and 1 bantom. I'm new to this and never stop reading.

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    If you're not familiar with the term "submissive squat" it is when a pullet is getting really close to laying as you approach her (quietly and slowly) and then slowly lower your hand as if you were going to "pet" her, she will squat down to the ground....when she does that, she is getting really close! The lady you bought them from may have been just telling you that to make the sale...it happens.

As the old saying goes..."patience, grasshopper" !!!! [​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If there is a cockerel/rooster, a pullet/hen might not squat for a human.
    A pullet 'squats' down to position herself to take the cockerel/roosters weight onto her back while being mated or just dominated.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    See following video link. Hen squats immediately before rooster "covers" / copulates with her. To my eyes it is more of a solicitation than an act of submission.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by